Computer Debate

bpmod

Reaction score
When I got my PC I built it myself from parts I either ordered or got from the local Fry's. It took me over a month to get all the parts I wanted (Had to save up money from the job), but in the end this is what I ended up with.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz (I have it OC'ed to 3ghz)
2GB of Corsair XMS2 5300 RAM
2x HD Seagate 200GB SATA and WD 160GB SATA
ASUS P5N-E SLI
Arctic Cooler 7 Pro
Ultra Gladiator Modded Case
4x 120mm and 2x 80mm fans
2x Blue/Blue UV CCD lights
500 watt PSU
2 8800GTS's

Accessories:
Logitech G11 Keyboard
Samsung SyncMaster 206BW 20" LCD

Grand Total: $1500

Never BUY a pc. Always build it. You will be glad you did.

David_Tiger

Reaction score
Yep, if u buy a manufactured PC with what you want in it, it would maybe cost upto 3x more if u build yourself.

i spend just under $1400 and got as follows

Motherboard: Asrock NF5-SLI-1394
PSU: 600w
CPU: AMD Athon X2 64 6000+ @ 3.5GHz (OCC from 3.1GHz)
RAM: 6GB (PC-5300)
Case: Trensonic Wizard ATX (SEE HERE)
Fan count: 6 (3x120mm) (1x300mm) (2xGPU fan) (BIG FAN :D
HDD: 500GB + 350GB external
GPU: 2x 8500GT 1GB's ( i know there not goot for gaming but it was 2 for 1 with the motherboard :D) (soon have dual 8800 :D)

Not the best PC in the world but does the jobs i want to do FAST!
Notice in the image i have vista but last week i booted it and got XP pro, after SP1 update the troubles started and i had said when ever i need to reinstall the OS it woulnt be vista going back in so i got XP, better performance in games but no more direct X 10 :(

Last edited:

Sup3rkirby

Reaction score
Ummm... while that is a nice PC, I have a question. You have 6GB of RAM and Windows XP Professional correct? Did you know Windows XP Professional only supports a max of 4GB of RAM? Maybe there was some patch that secretly came out and I am unaware of but last time I checked(sources coming from Microsoft's website itself), Windows XP only supported a max of 4GB of RAM.

So it just seemed a bit weird for you to have 6...

bpmod

Reaction score
it woulnt be vista going back in so i got XP, better performance in games but no more direct X 10 :(

Direct X10 just slows down your computer more and eats into your graphics and computer memory.

Windows XP Pro FTW!!!

David_Tiger

Reaction score
Well with 6GB RAM and 2+GB or graphics memory i hadent noticed any difference in DX10 slowing games, for example Crysis on Vista with DX10 and all setting set to highest i could achieve Frame rates from 16 upto 60. Now with XP DX9 I achieve Frame Rates around the same although without the DX10 detail wasn't so high but i dont mind :D

The Main reason i came back to XP was that my sound was playing-up after the SP1 update, every so often, playing music, playing games etc it would stick like a scrached cd.
Still although XP dont have all the great features like Vista i love it, its very stable and never get problems with it.