The meaning of "News"

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
What do you think the meaning of news is?

I think this pretty much sums it up:

When a dog bites a man, that is not news, as it happens so much, but when a man bites a dog, that is news.

ThePBgod

Reaction score
Yep. I pretty much agree with that. At the same time, most news in the media is one sided. You hear about all the bad that happens but what about all the good people do, as well? Our world really isn't chalked full of all that bad you see the news spewing out. Otherwise most of our lives would be lived in fear and hatred. Oh wait..that's how most of society is....

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Pretty much to me, it's things that people would most likely want to know, and not some sort of "filler" article. Much like today's (or sometime recently) Fire over at Universal Studios.

briana23

Reaction score
News: I learned this in my 3rd grade class with a creative teacher:
News is from
North
East
West
South

ASPX.King

Reaction score
news is something unusual that happened, like a fire, a death, or something new, like a new website, new product, or something.

there's no concrete definition though

if a dog bit bush then it would be news (but he deserves it) but if the dog bit some bum on 7th street then nobody would care.

eliasr

Reaction score
News: I learned this in my 3rd grade class with a creative teacher:
News is from
North
East
West
South

:hahano: :hahano: :hahano: :hahano: :hahano:

Well, is just if you have information that happend, but breaking news is for example a quake or moething like that