Upgrade PC Processor?

Sup3rkirby

Reaction score
Of course computers have changeable, replaceable and upgradeable parts.

But can you upgrade your processor?

I believe it is possible but I think the motherboard is very restricting with what you choose. I've never done such a thing and have only ever upgraded other minor things such as hard drives, ram, cd/dvd drives, and a few other small things. I am somewhat familiar with the inside of a PC though.

Although newer(dual core) processors are quite expensive, it is just something I was considering for one of my PCs and figured I'd get some advice and info about the matter so I can properly do such a thing and make sure to not ruin my PC.

blu3fire

Reaction score
Changing CPU is really easy to do. But what CPU you'll buy depends on your motherboard, socket and obviously funds :)

Last edited:

bluid

Reaction score
what blu3fire said, search it in google and im sure you will get some ideas on how to do it etc.

Sup3rkirby

Reaction score
Well, it is nice to hear that there should be some ease involved.

Is there any good way/easy way to check for compatibility, as well as figure out what make/model motherboard I have so that I could check for CPU compatibility?

JamesB

Reaction score
First you should read the documentation for your motherboard's model on its manufacturer's website to see what CPUs you can install. Sometimes new BIOS releases allow installing faster CPUs so you should check the BIOS descriptions too. You should also buy one of those anti-static wrist-straps because computer chipsets are very susceptible to electrical damage (static electricity too). Another good thing to have is a small amount of a good quality thermal paste, which you put between the CPU and the heatsink.
Installing itself is pretty easy but the preparations will take you a while especially if you're doing it for the first time.

blu3fire

Reaction score
Also you can check your mobo using Everest software for windows.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
If you want a Dual Core, you need a motherboard thats Socket 775. Check the manual, or if you post your current CPU here I could find out which ones are compatible for you ;)

Alex

Sup3rkirby

Reaction score
Well, I'm not at home on that PC right now but I will be later today. It currently has an Intel Pentium Dual Core processor in it, but I wanted to upgrade probably to a Core 2 Duo processor.

I'll look that software up when I am home and see if it can help me out a bit and then I'll check my manufacturer's site(once I figure out who that is) and see what kind of CPU i'll be able to use.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Yes, I think nearly all of those are Socket 775, so you could upgrade to an Intel Core 2 Duo (the 65nm ones should work, not sure on the 45nm ones, depends on the motherboard) or a Core 2 Quad if you wanted (again, 65nm ones should work, 45nm ones might depending on how new your motherboard is).

Hope that helps decide.

As to fitting, just make sure that the heatsink is cleaned on old thermal paste and apply some new stuff, or use the new cooler (if you buy a retail version). Its easy to install, just follow the instructions if you need to, but its fairly self explanitory.

**You should check with the motherboard manual or website first, but those should work on most motherboards.**

Alex

Last edited:

kennbona

Reaction score
Google CPU-Z .. small program that gives you all the information you need about your mother board, CPU and ram.. download it only about 150Kb.
Go on the mother board tab and copy the Motherboard Model... Ex - mine is an ASUS P5B .. go on the manufacturers website, and search for the specifications and compatibility of your motherboard with the cpu you intend to buy.

Building a PC is much like building with a Lego Set.. everything clips into place.. If you do upgrade your CPU, make sure you buy some Thermal Paste with either silver base or Gold Base. This thermal paste increases thermal conductivity between the CPU and your Cooling system "Heat sink" therefor keeping the cpu as cool as possible.

What you should look at is Socket Type.. 775, 478 etc... and FSB rating for the CPU and mother board.. it's useless to buy a CPU with a 1333Mhz - FSB when your motherboard only runs at 800Mhz FSB.. Same thing applies to other Components withing the system...

Hope this helps you
kenneth

Last edited:

DragonMaster

Reaction score
The compatibility lists are often ooutdated, both on the mfg's website and in the manual. You can look at the BIOS change logs and even the chipset sometimes. You can find mainboard hardware hacks sometimes... (ie. I have a dual-CPU 1.3GHz Pentium 3 system --> 440BX chipset !)

vol7ron

Reaction score
Is there any good way/easy way to check for compatibility, as well as figure out what make/model motherboard I have so that I could check for CPU compatibility?

As mentioned in other places. The Socket type is the most important, usually motherboards have the drivers to work with any processor of that socket type, unless the processor is super new.

Think of sockets like a power socket on the wall. Only instead of 2 pins for a cord you stick in the wall, you have much much more.

bpmod

Reaction score
Like everyone has said it deals strictly with what your motherboard chipset and socket is. If you have a motherboard from a dealer like Dell, Gateway, HP, you probably have a very limited BIOS. This will really crimp what processor you can get (and afford).

pokerhaji

Reaction score
u cant upgrade your Processor in to High speed with existing Mother board..upgrade Motherboard+Processor...