Self Destruction?

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Are we a self destructive race? Even today in modern times, there are several wars taking place and genocide. We have killed off many species, released viruses to kill ourselves, are doing a pretty good job at destroying the earth and have plunged our tiny, delicate world into madness, not to mention our history. It is painful to look back at what we have done (as a race). Is self destruction imminent?

PS: Posted in wrong forum >.<, can someone move this to crossfire?

~Twinkie

Last edited:

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
I think Human is as human does.

back 500 years ago this was fine, but human igonrance is overcoming natures ability to repair its self

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
*moved to crossfire*

I think you're pretty right about that. I think we aren't destroying ourselves only, but the whole planet and everything on it. But I guess there isn't much to do about it...

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
one problem is the multi-milonares who own companys that spit hout harmfull gasses and consume huge ammounts of resources.

i think the biggest problem nowadays is recycling.
we stoped recycling with all these "disposable" items came out.

Dan

Reaction score
I know loads of people will criticise me for saying this but I am not really bothered about what other humans are doing to each other so long as it isn't affecting me. I know it's wrong to think like that but I just do. :(
If it starts affecting me personally I might try and do something but..

naerey

Reaction score
Self destruction?
No, I don't think so. Not fully.

Take into consideration that one thousand years ago there were only around 50 million people on earth.
Now we are in 7 billion, approximately.
Some 100 thousand years ago, there were 10 thousand of humans at most.
We are evolving, expanding. Evolving also means killing off the weaker ones, those that can't adapt.
But that's talking just about ourselves...

Whereas if we also take into consideration the world, then yes, we are harmful.
But that is not 'self' destructive. That is just, "destructive".
We are destroying (or just changing? Making it into another form... Oil becomes CO2, Ice > Water etc.) our environment.

Considering that, yes, we might be 'self destructive', since we are destroying the world that we live in.
But then again, maybe we'll find another world where we'll just mass migrate and become alines just like in Independence Day...

Who knows?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I wouldn't see why we are not a race that kills each other and destroys things all the time. It's our physical power and mental power that causes this.

Jon.Monreal

Reaction score
It seems to me that the human race is indeed quite self-destructive at times. But there are also checks on that.

Consider the concept of MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction) that came up during the Cold War. Neither the United States or the Soviet Union was willing to obliterate us all.

It is my thought that while some people are inclined to make the human race self-destructive, others have different inclinations. The topic of our destroying nature is another issue in my opinion because I believe the human race would be able to overcome whatever changes we made to the earth anyways (not that this is right).

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I know loads of people will criticise me for saying this but I am not really bothered about what other humans are doing to each other so long as it isn't affecting me. I know it's wrong to think like that but I just do. :(
If it starts affecting me personally I might try and do something but..
The idea is to do something before it gets bad enough to affect us. I am feeling the full effects in Florida where there was 5(?) threatening hurricanes this season because the ocean is one or two degrees higher than before. It is not all about the enviroment and harmful CO2 gasses. It is true that we are not hurting ourselves directly by killing the environment, but what about wars, what about anthrax, what about genocide? Can we really commit all these offenses without being called "self destructive"?

~Twinkie

Last edited:

fempower

Reaction score
So many man-made problems are coming to a head (chemicals causing cancer and other problems, global warming, loss of biodiversity, pollution, etc) and too many are burying their heads in the sand. Unless there are major tech breakthroughs like carbon sequestration and affordable alternative green energy, and major change in consumer habits, we are heading for a meltdown of famine, disease, wars over scarce resources, and more.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Should have included a poll... I agree with fempower, its happened before. I just hope I am not around to see it or my future children. Or grandchildren. Don't care as much after that because I probably won't know them, but I will still take a loss.

~Twinkie

Last edited:

exemption

Reaction score
The human race.. I do believe is indeed a self-destructive race..We are ignorant when we know gas is low..and something same of the sort...We have no remorse for mistakes we do..most of us dont even recognize when we make a mistake..We want to do something about our crisis..but no action is taken..
Simple blurbs right there on my thoughts...

mattura

Reaction score
I think we are a most creative race, actually. As mentioned in naerey's post, our population has exploded whilst the population of other earthly inhabitants has more or less stayed the same (apart from the odd climate induced change). Yet humans have developed beyond a point where the climate affects whether we live or die, as there are people living in all climates. Then think of some of the advances we have made as a race. Many of these were not essential to immediate survival, like instinct in an animal, but might help in the long term. It is our ability to wonder, to ask 'what if...?' and experiment that really shows how creative we are. And I'd say we are much more creative than we are destructive.

stillDOLL

Reaction score
It is true but not to the max level of self-destructive we are just doing what we can to live our lives. But sure, our ancestors would have had much simpler lifestyles that did not harm the earth but with technology always advancing you can't really help it.

And it would also depend on person to person. I mean, some people kill each other even though we are the same race ==;;;; which is so stupid but some don't.

bpmod

Reaction score
Self destructive you say?

Heck yeah. We tend to do what serves number 1. We don't care about who gets killed or destroyed in the process.

Those who try to do the right thing and think about others get drowned and crushed by the seething masses say "Whats in it for me?", ""How does this benefit me?" "Gimme healthcare, gimme money, gimme, gimme, gimme!!" We are a people who have fallen from the purpose we were created for so we grab for things to fill the gap left over.

And WE WILL destroy ourselves soon enough through our own actions.

mattura

Reaction score
Those who try to do the right thing and think about others get drowned and crushed by the seething masses say "Whats in it for me?", ""How does this benefit me?" "Gimme healthcare, gimme money, gimme, gimme, gimme!!" We are a people who have fallen from the purpose we were created for so we grab for things to fill the gap left over.

I see a lot of evidence of this (just look at 'accident lawyers' for example) in America, and it is increasing alarmingly in the UK too. Underdeveloped/middle-developed countries (eg Russia) tend to have a slightly different culture, due to certain hardships endured ('we are all in it together') and I think when people have life too easy, they get more greedy. If it takes a financial crisis/depression to make people less selfish, then I'm all for it...