Anyone interested in a game of Mafia?

Eryth

Reaction score
I just thought it would be a nice game to add to the community. Currently I'm just proposing this since we need players to join up and perhaps someone to assist with hosting the game. I'm not the best when it comes to writing stories and such and such. But anyways... we'll need a lot of players to make this interesting. I'd be the one sending PM's and controlling everything but I'll need people to be players and someone to assist with writing the story events if possible.

Well for those who never played... Tell me what do you think...

Objective
The aim of the game is simple. If you're a mafia player, your aim is to kill as many innocents in the city as possible. If you're an innocent, your aim is to lynch out the mafia players and kill them before they kill you.

Rules
The game is divided into two Phases: Night and Day. Participants who sign up will be divided into the following roles:

Innocent
This is the default role given to everyone. You, as an innocent may or may not be selected as a "hit" by the mafia. The Innocents also have the ability to lynch out a suspected Mafia member every Day and kill him.

Investigator
One player will be secretly given this role. He will have the ability to investigate the true identity of each user once per Night.

Vigilante
One player will be secretly given this role. He can perform one killing every Night.

Bodyguard
One player will be secretly given this role. He can prevent one killing every Night. He cannot protect the same person twice.

Mafia Godfather
One player will be secretly given this role. He is immune to any investigation performed and has the final word in the Mafia decision.

Mafia
Five players will be secretly given this role. Every Night, they can choose a victim out of the players and submit his or her name to the Host.

The game starts out in the Day Phase. The Host tells the Innocents of a death in their community, with a clue to the one who did it. This clue will point to a random Mafia member. The Innocents may then post in the thread with their views and opinions and ultimately, a vote against the player they suspect did the deed. Mafia members will be hidden amongst the Innocents during this time and will act as an Innocent, casting their votes as well. Once every player has voted, they player with the highest number of votes is killed off by the Host. This ends the Day Phase and the game progresses to the Night Phase.

In Night One, Mafia members gather for the first time and are revealed to each other. They then get to choose one Innocent to be killed. The choice is submitted to the Mafia Godfather. As the leader of the group, the Godfather can choose to accept that decision or submit his own decision to the Host.

The Bodyguard can also submit the name of a player he wants to protect to the Host now. Should the protected player be targeted during the Night, the attempt will fail, leaving nothing but a clue to the killer and possibly a very scared player.

During this time, the Investigator can submit the name of one player to the Host. The Host will then tell him if the player is an Innocent or a Mafia. However, if the Godfather's name is submitted, he will show up as Innocent. He can use this information to his advantage by trying to sway the Innocents to his cause in the day.

Finally, the Vigilante will have the ability to kill any user he suspects during this time as well. However, he should be wary of targeting an Innocent player as well. Should the Vigilante choose not to kill anyone, he can inform the Host that no killing will be done.

Once the above actions have been completed, the game progresses to Day Two. The Innocent who was killed during the night is revealed, again leaving a clue to a random Mafia member and the cycle repeats. The game continues until either all Mafia members have been killed or there are less Innocents than Mafia.

Misc info

• Players are reminded to be generally active. A slow game does no good to anyone. An average game lasts in between two weeks to a month.
  • Anyone who is killed in anyway will have their true identity revealed. Dead players are allowed one post for anything: Giving insight to their deaths or even vowing revenge upon them.
  • The clues will reflect the player who did the killing, be it a random member of the mafia or the Vigilante. Clues could be taken from anything: Their avatar, sig, username or even information from their profile. For this reason, players should not change any display information they have for the duration of the game. You'll be found out in the end.
  • In the case in which both a vigilante and mafia member targets the same person, the mafia will get the kill.
  • The Hosts of the game are the ones who can post the game events. Players only have the ability to decide who dies. How that person dies and the circumstances leading to his death is completely up to the Host. Just sit back and enjoy yourselves.
  • Unless you're a mafia member, discussion outside the provided thread is strongly discouraged. Your roles should be kept to yourself and yourself alone. Besides, that man who claims to be a Vigilante or Investigator may well be the person who offs you tonight.
  • This thread is for signups and troubleshooting. If you're interested in playing or if you have any questions, post here.

Last edited:
T

themasterrocker

This is taken from myspace also, i do not see how this is going to be working if you would be so kind to explain i can check with someone who has a higher rank then me.

Eryth

Reaction score
So basically we need players first and a story writer. Preferably around 20 players would do if that's possible.

There will be another thread where voting and discussion of whom to lynch will take place. So here's the break down:

BEFORE THE GAME:
I'll randomly PM all players their roles in the game whether it be innocent, mafia, godfather, detective, bodyguard or vigilante.

All Mafia members will know which players are also Mafia. Everyone else will not know whom is who.

DAY PHASE:
- The story unfolds as the next piece of the story revealing the events of the Night Phase is told. (the actions of all special characters except the detective, players eliminated and what their role was) The story will have clues hidden within the passage which will hint to who is a mafia member. Clues will be based of just about anything.

- Discussion and voting is opened for 48 hours. Players take the time to analyze the previous passage for clues to who the mafia are. During this time, players will be allowed to cast their votes for who they want to have lynched. Votes can be changed until a majority is met or the 48 hour time limit is up.

- The votes are casted. The player with the most votes will be lynched and removed from the game. If there is a tie then no lynching will happen. The Night Phase then begins.

NIGHT PHASE:
- The Mafia will discuss who to kill through other means. (eg PMs or some other method)

- Special characters will PM me with all their decisions.

- When responses from all roles have been heard from, the Night Phase Ends and the Day Phase begins.

Does that make enough sense?

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I guess I can try this game. Let me know when we're ready to start and I'll see what I can do.

Dan

Reaction score
This game sounds fun, if a bit complicated.
Good luck sending out all those PMs when you get loads of player...!!

As this game would be very rubbish if this thread were to drop to the bottom of the page, I will sticky it. If it starts to not be very good, I will unsticky it :)

Mitch

Reaction score
It sounds good. I will play it too. Dan as Mafia Godfather :lol: