Will IE8 revive the IE brand?

Do you think IE8 can reignite the browser wars?

• Heck no. IE7 sucked, IE8 will suck, Microsoft sucks.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • If Microsoft makes it secure, lightweight and easy to use, it might just stand a chance

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • IE8 is gonna really heat things up again in the browser arena.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • For sure! Bring it on IE8! Down with FF3 slow startup and Chrome's chrominess!

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

freenetter

Reaction score
What do you think? Reckon Internet Explorer 8 will once again make IE the dominant browser out there? Or is it too late for Microsoft to take some market share back from Mozilla's Firefox and Google's Chrome?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I chose the second choice, the more secure and lightweight one. Basically, if Microsoft can develop an engine that is suitable for loads of plug-ins, have a faster engine and make it very secure, IE8 can stand a chance against Firefox. I haven't used the betas so I don't know how it copes with IE7.

sunils

Reaction score
I dont think IE8 will do good unless it is made lightweight like mozilla. IE7 and IE8 looks similar for me. With same problems. Since its a beta version, lets hope for the best from microsoft.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I don't think it has a chance unless it is overhauled and built from scratch. Microsoft's policy of adding-on-to-existing-things doesn't make things better.

I find myself using chrome more often because of its responsiveness.. it just needs extensions and I'm set

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
It does have a cool anti-phishing feature (it greys out all of the URL except for the actual domain), but those who went to Firefox stays with Firefox unless there's a true killer feature.

Noodles8

Reaction score
I voted #2. That said, unless it blows me away, I wont be getting rid of my FF.

adamlinux

Reaction score
I vote #1, it was bad before and with the addition of cloud computing to it, it will be even worse than before.:mad: Please people, do yourself a favor and use Firefox.

freenetter

Reaction score
I reckon IE8 has a chance - I do love Firefox but HATE the slow startup times (Over 30 seconds for me!!!) - I have tried all the different methods suggested on the net to speed up FF's startup, to no avail. Now I use Chrome more often. ^_^

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I use chrome now mainly because it's quick and lightweight. I hardly use IE7, and I use FF when I need to use a plug in or add on... (chrome as a FireBug-like function built-in!)

M

Macaws

Well, Im using IE8 Beta, and it is the worst web browser known to man. Well, Heres what they say.

"automatically recover from a crash"
My Thought: It shouldn't even crash. But it does. A lot.

"Uses inPrivate Browsing"
My thought: Yeah, but if someone looked over your shoulder, it says in big: INPRIVATE MODE. Kind of defeating the purpose.

"Its Fast"
My thought: Sure if you're comparing it to a DEAD turtle.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I have used the betas and it is definitely a patched up version of IE. It has some new features, but nothing to care about. I liked the old GUI better. I chose the first option.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
its better to use FF or Opera then IE, IE has an annoying habit to crash and nag about errors on the page FF doesnt have those kinds of issues

eagles051387

Reaction score
vista is crap ie7 is crap and has a nasty memory leak the more tabs u have open. anything msft is horrible i think. if i wasnt such a gamer i would be on linux for good. best of all thats free. with vista and i think windows 7 msft is digging their own graves

brayden13

Reaction score
Vista isn't that bad but IE7 sucks so bad. From what i have heard people reckon it is pretty fast at startup but it's really slow at loading pages and dodgy when it comes to scripts. but it is only in Beta but still i reckon it will be a total failure

adam.k

Reaction score
Personally I like firefox. Mainly because it is very extensible, and I can customize it so that it works with the stuff I do. I also like a lot of FF's features and think that unless if Microsoft does a really good job with Internet Explorer 8 (say, rewrite it, not add on to it) then it might have a chance. Then again a lot of people still use Internet Explorer anyways...

homer693

Reaction score
I vote for #1, I tried the beta, its just a little faster, but not much different from ie7