what is windows 7

neteater

Reaction score
can any one give me a full info about windows 7 and where can i download a beta of it

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
here is the beta download, don't ask me how to compile it though...

Last edited by a moderator:

themcman1

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to link to an illegally leaked operating system?

I think not. :nuts:

The public beta should come out later in January.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
The best way to get the test of Windows 7 would be to look around TechNet for now. It means you'll need to pay some money to get it though. You can wait until the public beta comes out sometime soon to get it.

Otherwise, Windows 7 is basically Vista under the hood but with many tweaks and bug fixes, and of course a bit of re-theming and software changes.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

I think not. :nuts:

Is that an illegally leaked operating system? It seems to me that that is the beta version that microsft announced. Maybe not?

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
He's correct, I watched CES 2009 with Ballmer introducing Windows 7. The beta is already available to certain MSDN/Connect users, and will be available to the public tomorrow

gsgrego

Reaction score
now if they could only improve ie for once..

question is... will drivers be compatible? or are we going to run into the same thing as vista where no company could make drivers properly for vista.

wow.. nothing in windows 7 seems ... that big of changes... if this is all the features.. i wouldnt buy it.

it just seems... dumb,bed down yet again... good for people who put pictures or just email ect, but too simple for ore advanced users.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
it just seems... dumb,bed down yet again... good for people who put pictures or just email ect, but too simple for ore advanced users.

I don't want to bad-mouth windows in any way, but I have to agree...

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
OMG

NEGATIVE comments about Windows 7? I didn't think they even existed!

It's all the little things that make it a worthwhile upgrade.

Last edited:

Max1337

Reaction score
Windows 7 was released to developers last night on Tech-Net, so I managed to get myself a copy and install it on my computer...

It works great on my computer! Surprisingly better than any other previous Windows OS, even XP...
And for a beta too!!!

When I took the install disk (that I burnt) to work today, and showed it off on a Virtual Machine, everyone was "wowing" over it.

It runs fast, smooth, Microsoft apparently removed the bugs, and fixed a lot of major issues that was previously shown on Windows...
My hardware is fully compatible, same for the software too.

I used to think Microsoft always made nothing but junky software, but when I started using Windows 7... I started having second thoughs... And I am a Network Administrator too... So I'm quite the technical user.
Once you use Windows 7 yourself, you will see that it truley is a good OS.

I think not.

I heard that Microsoft purposely released Windows 7, to make people have second thoughts of their programming skills lol.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
From what I've read from users of the beta, the driver issues are fixed and hardware works great (only exception I've heard is regarding a certain Creative branded sound card). Anything is better than Vista, and so far it looks as if Windows 7 could finally be the real successor to XP.

You might have to wait awhile for some updates from vendors regarding software however..

Once it's available to the public tomorrow, I'm definitely trying it out!

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Windows 7 was released to developers last night on Tech-Net, so I managed to get myself a copy and install it on my computer...

It works great on my computer! Surprisingly better than any other previous Windows OS, even XP...
And for a beta too!!!

When I took the install disk (that I burnt) to work today, and showed it off on a Virtual Machine, everyone was "wowing" over it.

It runs fast, smooth, Microsoft apparently removed the bugs, and fixed a lot of major issues that was previously shown on Windows...
My hardware is fully compatible, same for the software too.

I used to think Microsoft always made nothing but junky software, but when I started using Windows 7... I started having second thoughs... And I am a Network Administrator too... So I'm quite the technical user.
Once you use Windows 7 yourself, you will see that it truley is a good OS.

Hmmm.... I guess I will try it out then. I was just going to ignore it. But if it's that good, i'll guess I'll try it.

gsgrego

Reaction score
ok they fixed things that good... but im still tired of the simplfying. at this rate windows 8 wont have the cmd.

ok... you cant even view the status of a wireless link, and i dont mean the signal strength, but the actual status . you have to right click and goto the network and sharing center.

there are others and that ive run into at one point or another but i cant think of em right now.

reichiru

Reaction score
Hmm... can anyone give me a simple rundown of the pros and cons of Windows 7 compared to Vista? I don't really understand computer terminology that well (I'm still in high school and completely computer-dumb when it comes to software and stuff).

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Is it's beta available for download?

Yep. There is another thread regarding Win7 on the forums here somewhere, they have multiple links talked about - for getting the software and the activation key.

warlordste

Reaction score
i never try beta i always wait for the service pack to come out that way i know most of the bugs have been sorted out

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
i never try beta i always wait for the service pack to come out that way i know most of the bugs have been sorted out

I've been hearing some very positive things on Windows 7 and how people are liking it, so even if you won't want to try it, give it a shot and download the ISO and get a key for it. I'm going to be installing it on my old gaming computer which was retired two years ago and see how the thing handles it.