Hiding location?

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Why are you hiding your location on this forum?

Is it because:

• you are not proud of your country
  • or you are concern about your privacy
  • or you are too lazy to add it
  • or you don't think that it's important
  • or ...

I would like to know a reason.

P.S. This is a part of my social research about forums and other communities.

Last edited:

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

• you are not proud of your country (nope)
  • or you are concern about your privacy (yes)
  • or you are too lazy to add it (sometimes)
  • or you don't think that it's important (yes I don't think it is important
  • or .....I just don't like it when people ask where I am from without really knowing them....

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes, but you published your location :confused: Your even wrote your city.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don't know if I've added it here but it's usually because I'm too lazy to add it anyway.

To be honest, I'm embarrassed by England for reasons that are not needed to be aired on a free webhosting forum. It matters to me, but for you (the reader here) it probably doesn't matter so much.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't know if I've added it here but it's usually because I'm too lazy to add it anyway.

To be honest, I'm embarrassed by England for reasons that are not needed to be aired on a free webhosting forum. It matters to me, but for you (the reader here) it probably doesn't matter so much.

I'm always looking for reasons why some people do or don't like their country, if you don't mind sharing it on forums...possible for a PM?...just wondering.

xPlozion

Reaction score
i've got mine listed on this site, but normally i'm too lazy to put it on other sites, unless i'm an active member.

you are not proud of your country (no, but at times i'd rather be elsewhere... :angel: *cough*norway*cough* :angel: :p)
or you are concern about your privacy (no, newark's too broad of an area)
or you are too lazy to add it (yea)
or you don't think that it's important (on some sites)

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
I have no problems with people knowing the country I am from. I just don't see why someone in a message forum needs to know the exact street, city and state I live in.

I highly doubt I'll meet people from here, and if I do - I would of given them that information privately.

F

Fahad

I always use it as an opportunity to be funny.
Like "turn around slowly with your hands up"
or "ƃuılıǝɔ ǝɥʇ uo"

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Pretty much what John Klyne said:

# you are not proud of your country (No)
# or you are concern about your privacy (yes)
# or you are too lazy to add it (Yes)
# or you don't think that it's important (Yes I don't think it is important)
# or .....I just don't like it when people ask where I am from without really knowing them....

reichiru

Reaction score
I'm usually concerned about my privacy, so I don't add the correct location. But sometimes I do, depends on what I feel like. Most of the time I'm too lazy/don't really care about it. Personally I don't think where you live matters when you're on a forum, unless there's like time zone issues or something, then we've got a problem =P

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
my town is an EXTREMELY small town. If it told you my town, you could probably find me! So, I'm concerned about privacy. But I did post USA, and NC. That's a close as I can tell you with out telling you which house I live in, because of the tiny population of my town.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
There are some really interesting replies here but I think you misunderstood me. When I said LOCATION I meant COUNTRY, not the city or address. I know it would be a real privacy issue to let everyone know your city or address but country is something quite different.

Last edited:

reichiru

Reaction score
Yeah, I meant my country. I usually put in something extremely random for my location, but other times I do put in my actual country of residence. Most of the people on the forums I visit regularly know where I live anyways, cause I may not have it in my profile but I do mention it in my posts elsewhere on the sites.

# you are not proud of your country (No)
# or you are concern about your privacy (Depends on what kind of forum I'm at)
# or you are too lazy to add it (Most of the time)
# or you don't think that it's important (Not extremely important)

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
There are some really interesting replies here but I think you misunderstood me. When I said LOCATION I meant COUNTRY, not the city or address. I know it would be a real privacy issue to let everyone know your city or address but country is something quite different.

Ok, alright. I guess I did misunderstand you.:biggrin:

abcisaac

Reaction score
Just try to keep things secure. Don't want nasties seeing pictures of my kids and then hunting them down.

Edit: Oops, should've read all the entries before responding. I guess the reason I didn't put my country down as my location because I had the feeling I could either put my specific location (city, part of town, etc) or nothing at all. Putting "USA" down as location never dawned on me. Maybe I'll do that now.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
For me, just never bothered to fill it in. Anyone can tell if they were to get my IP what country I live in, and you can find posts by me stating where I am as well.