Sony Japan to close factories. Playstation division may be in trouble.

skai123

Reaction score
Maybe if the PS3 had better games and wasn't soo not fun, maybe it would sell better?

Define better and fun...

There was "better" PS3 games than 360 games last year... And it also seems like it this year too. look at metacritics more PS3 games last year score a 9+ avg score than 360 games...
Edit:
Sony was always in trouble, ecpecting us to buy a console for £400 is expecting too much, infact for evrey one PS3 sold 4 xbox's where sold, and that just says it all.

Sony was always in trouble? lol, dont make me laugh...

umm one in every ps3 sold there was 4 xbox's sold? LOL Where is your source? maybe in north america...

Last edited:

Parsa44

Reaction score
Personally i think the only reason why Sony is in trouble is because of over pricing. They put too much coinfidence into the market, considering the reccession.

Blazer9131

Reaction score
Lol.. Consoles.. good times.. good times... Hey guys, Go buy a PC that'll last you a good 6-7 years. Infact, make one yourself, last ya 10 years easy *few upgrades here, there*

And skipping the whole mini-console war going on here..

If sony japan closes, the entire sony industry will go down the drain.. I've been a sony fanboy since the launch of the PS1, It was my first real system *I had a GBC before that* and I loved it. I sorta agree that the new games coming out for the PS3 are not as good as others, but its still pulling in a good portion of the money from the buyers.. I mean its not like its only selling a 5-6 thousand consoles a year..

~Blaze

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Sony posted there hardware losses today for the third quarter:

PlayStation hardware hit by sales decline

Sony has revealed that unit sales of all three PlayStation hardware brands were down in the third quarter ended December 31, 2008, with the company's game division recording sales and operating revenue of JPY 393.8 billion (USD 4,328 million), down 32.2 per cent when compared to the previous year.
Compared to the same quarter for 2007, PlayStation 3 sales were 4.46 million, a decrease of 44,000 units, while PSP sales were 5.08 million units, down 68,000 units.

Sales of the stalwart PlayStation 2 were also in decline, down 2.88 million units to 2.52 million.

The company blamed a 97 per cent decrease in operating income of JPY 0.4 billion (USD 4 million) on the appreciation of the yen against the euro, as well as the decline in hardware and software sales.

A rise in PlayStation 3 software sales was impacted by the decline in game sales for the PlayStation Portable and the PlayStation 2.

During the quarter, Sony sold 40.8 million PS3 games, up 14.8 million units compared to the previous year.

However, PSP game sales dropped by 2.8 million units, to 15.5 million, while PlayStation 2 software sold 29.7 million units, down by a massive 31.2 million.

Link

Can Sony bounce back from this even with a price drop? Maybe, but at the end of the day these are terrible sales for a quarter in which the most sales should be occuring.

skai123

Reaction score
PS3 shipped just about the same as 360 in 2008
PlayStation 3: 10.77m
Xbox 360: 10.8m

SHIPPED LIFETIME TO DATE
PlayStation 3: 21.35m
Xbox 360: 28.45m

link

remember PS3 was outselling the 360 early 2008 until 360 had the price drop...