what is the worst virus you've had?

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I got some nasty virus w/e that mixed with the system files so I can't start any programs at all, only things already running, like IRC and MSN (thank god those were running and my computer support guy was online.)

It seems like it isn't reperable so I am backing up data and am formating tomorrow.

Like, nothing works, system restore won't work either, no AV etc, because the file GDI32.dll is messed and I get errors like

The procedure entry point CreateCompatibleBitmap could not be located in the dynamic link library GDI32.dll

What is the worst virus you ever got?

tridge

Reaction score
I hated .cih virus from years ago, the damn thing attached itself to everything. This was around the win98 era.

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I hated .chi virus from years ago, the damn thing attached itself to everything. This was around the win98 era.

pe_cih, aka the Chernobyl virus? That one?

Frankly the worst I've had was one that managed to infect a computer that wasn't even going online on its own - I'm not sure how it got infected, but it kept opening telnet and calling a remote computer for further instructions.

Useless once I blocked that IP at the router of course, but that didn't stop it from opening up telnet windows all the time -_-'

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
hahaha I just started the PC, and it starts with the XP bootscreen instead of the vista one, and then BSoDs.

I just putted in the vista CD and did a system restore, it seems working again now.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, I haven't had any viruses myself and the only ones that have ever been stopped were ones that came in Java files via ads (which I no longer get), but basically that's just about it. No infections. Typically when I work on PCs, I'm 90% of the time am going to come across a large infection of Vundo/Virtumonde.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I got a mild one, but I've no idea what it's called. It installed in a program folder called "auquaplay" on my computer, but it wasn't too hard to remove. Anyone want me to pm them the virus? :p

tridge

Reaction score
pe_cih, aka the Chernobyl virus? That one?

Frankly the worst I've had was one that managed to infect a computer that wasn't even going online on its own - I'm not sure how it got infected, but it kept opening telnet and calling a remote computer for further instructions.

Useless once I blocked that IP at the router of course, but that didn't stop it from opening up telnet windows all the time -_-'

Yeah, that one. I said it wrong... it was .cih * not .chi, heh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIH_virus

Last edited:

jaint

Reaction score
Windows Vista (lol j/k it's not that bad, but I do prefer xp)

But actually it was the stoned empire monkey boot virus (it's real I swear).

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Windows Vista (lol j/k it's not that bad, but I do prefer xp)

But actually it was the stoned empire monkey boot virus (it's real I swear).

Gotta love those nasty DOS based viruses, eh? That's a nasty one that I've never had to deal with. Nothing better to do when you get that virus than to reformat the entire drive via FDISK.

Last edited:
D

dWhite

I had the fortunate pleasure of meeting up with the LoveBug once.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score

I've had to remove that from a relative's machine before. Turns out I discovered it because their dial-up (before they got DSL) kept disconnecting due to this "LoveBug."

jaint

Reaction score
Gotta love those nasty DOS based viruses, eh? That's a nasty one that I've never had to deal with. Nothing better to do when you get that virus than to reformat the entire drive via FDISK.

killed my computer actually. my hd was actually destroyed and it messed up my floppy drive:
floppy8.gif

the big ones not the a: but b: ..actually it killed them both. I ended up having to make a boot disk and then boot up from the boot disk with dos and then launching programs by replacing the disks (my hd was shot).

Parsa44

Reaction score
I got the "zlob" virus once and it destroyed some programs i have. And gave me fake rundll32 error messages.

As well as that it also installed a barrage of other viruses too.

And stopped my antivirus from working so i had to delete its "main" files manually.

silito

Reaction score
mine just started going on and off at will and changing screen colours at will.some nasty beetle runs across the screen laughing.. damn!
Edit:
that other one i got used to sacn the pc its self then warn me that i had viruses .it dowloads all the family of viruses and they get to their thousands and the pc vitually stops working . yaaax!

Last edited:

theexefiles

Reaction score
One that my school had (and because they failed to fix it, I now have on my ram stick) is the Win32\conficker.b worm. It shouldn't be too hard to remove because i've disabled autoplay + i've got Nod32, but its still annoying that I got it in the first place -_-

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
That's why I keep an installed copy of Ubuntu handy. I use that to back up critical files and format the flash drive at least twice. :)

Soki

Banned
Reaction score
I've had to remove that from a relative's machine before. Turns out I discovered it because their dial-up (before they got DSL) kept disconnecting due to this "LoveBug."
Do you mean this one?:
http://www.securityworld.com/ia-420-love-bug-virus.aspx

Sounds like someone was desperate. ;]

One that my school had (and because they failed to fix it, I now have on my ram stick) is the Win32\conficker.b worm. It shouldn't be too hard to remove because i've disabled autoplay + i've got Nod32, but its still annoying that I got it in the first place -_-
My old High School had a huge virus spread thanks to the teachers... They all recieved a fake hallmark email and opened it. Their comps shutdown and the network was down for two days. I recieved the email at that time, but who is going to send a Hallmark email to me when I don't even go on Hallmark and don't even like those cards.

"Hey, the person next to me got a virus when he opened an email with the same name as this one in my inbox. I should check it too!" Did someone lower the common sense bar?

I have had many and all are just manually removed by myself...nothing special...
Worst one would have to be the Fake Alert Virus which was passed on to me by a fake accept/decline message in MSN. Make sure you accept people you know. ;]

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Avast warned me about some emails in Outlook that used Frames, but they were sent ages ago, from the BBC's 'send to a friend' service. Umm, that's about it really. Downloaded stuff that's had a virus in the past, but didn't install it... don't know if that counts.