ReactOS

MarioMaster

Reaction score
I'm downloading ReactOS right now. I heard it's a lot like Windows and can run Windows executables (exe's). I run Mac OS X (Tiger ATM, but I might upgrade to Leopard if my dad makes me--ask for details if you care). I have the Q Emulator and want to be able to run exe's, but don't have the money to buy Windows. So is ReactOS any good?

nterror

Reaction score
Hard to say at the moment. Its not even ready for a real hardware install (can only install in a virtual system). Currently at 0.3.8, according to the site 0.5.0 is when it goes into Beta and suitable for everyday use. And if you look at the screenshots, it seems that old software has a better chance of running.

What are you trying to run? Might be a mac alternative.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hard to say at the moment. Its not even ready for a real hardware install (can only install in a virtual system). Currently at 0.3.8, according to the site 0.5.0 is when it goes into Beta and suitable for everyday use. And if you look at the screenshots, it seems that old software has a better chance of running.

What are you trying to run? Might be a mac alternative.

yeah, reactos isn't too reliable, but I think it's worth a try at any rate. let us know if it works. but like nterror said, I think it does need a virtual system to run on :mad:

MarioMaster

Reaction score
Well, Safari crashed on me when it was almost done downloading :drool:. I was using the old version that comes originally on Tiger, though. Oh well, now I'm back on Camino

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
ubuntu can run most windows exe's too.

Just type "sudo apt-get install wine" in the terminal. Then it is just to open the programs as normal.