PS3 Yellow Light of Death

frankfriend

Reaction score
Any one else been hit by the PS3 Yellow light of Death? This hits suddenly, without warning, and usually after your warranty runs out. It is really sad, as the PS3 is so so great, and usaed every day.

The only cure seems to be to send it back to Sony, and pay £140 for a refurb machine. This is because it happens to the first launch PS3's which have a higher spec than any later on!

Yiou can insure through Sony for approx £4.99 a month, and apparently get unlimited replacements.

Clinton

Reaction score
It's random. Happened to me last summer the only thing that pist me off about it was paying :rant2: They were quick to get my replacement to me. Within a week.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
i never had this but its becoase something else went wrong after my warrenty was gone

what happened with me was that i was trying to update my firmware and i kept getting an error message so i went onto the ps3 forum and asked around they said i had to press the power button untill i hear three beeps but nothing happend.

skai123

Reaction score
try replacing the harddrive with a new one or a spare one you have.

lair360

Reaction score
No problem yet for me...

Notes: my ps3 specs was modify. This is because, sony couldn't be bothered!

PS3 specs.
-----------------
1Gb Ram (Modified by me) memory stick was specially ordered from Japan retailer!
New heatsink (Pure copper) also from japan
See through hard drive base. (did it by myself to make it look cool)
1 Terabyte hard drive

Total = £220 (50 pence saved everyday for my entertainment - no joke @ all).

skai123

Reaction score
No problem yet for me...

Notes: my ps3 specs was modify. This is because, sony couldn't be bothered!

PS3 specs.
-----------------
1Gb Ram (Modified by me) memory stick was specially ordered from Japan retailer!
New heatsink (Pure copper) also from japan
See through hard drive base. (did it by myself to make it look cool)
1 Terabyte hard drive

Total = £220 (50 pence saved everyday for my entertainment - no joke @ all).

Pics?

even if u did add in extra ram which is very doubt full, even if u did games wont utilize it. plus i doubt u can get XDR ram... and specifically for ps3...

does ur ps3 have enough clearance? maybe it overheated? if it did then giive it more space and let it cool for a few hours and try to turn it on again.. and try reseting the ps3 by holding the touch sensitive power button untill u hear a few beeps.

Max1337

Reaction score
Thing about warranties are... they usually run out EXACTLY when the device, hardware, or computer fails shortly after it expires.
Companies set this up so that they wont be spending their money to help you in the event something bad happens.
Reason why when you purchase something, and it has warranty, you get an extended warranty... It may cost more, but it's worth it.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Pics?

even if u did add in extra ram which is very doubt full, even if u did games wont utilize it. plus i doubt u can get XDR ram... and specifically for ps3...

Linux or other homebrew/custom apps might be able to use it, but I'm doubting the ability to expand the ps3's ram without voiding the warranty - theres two types of XDR Ram, one's a common stick but I'm having difficulties locating a place that actually sells it in a stick; the other is pin-style soldered directly onto the board.

As a side note, Rambus, the guys behind XDR, were kind enough to show -exactly- where the XDR ram is on the PS3's motherboard.

ps3_board.jpg

If that doesn't show it clear enough, click here for another website with a larger image of the ram:
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/1111/ps3_32.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's impossible to upgrade. I'm saying that the ram chips are smaller than a standard pc's cpu and it'd be virtually impossible to, and given the extremely low incentive to do so, one would be better off buying a new PC with the money wasted.

EDIT: I should note this isn't directed as much at skai after the first paragraph; everything else is me explaining why I have my extreme doubts that lair360 upgraded the ram in his 360.

The obvious reason being that while XDR Ram is available in a stick, the ps3 doesn't use the stick version.

Last edited:

skai123

Reaction score
The obvious reason being that while XDR Ram is available in a stick, the ps3 doesn't use the stick version.

That's what i meant when i said specifically for ps3.

to OP, see if it still works after changing the hdd, and/or moving to open space/reset ps3.

frankfriend

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Paid up £140, and Sony replaced it. The larger 250 gb drive I had had to be reformatted! Now to reload everything. Still it is back & going again.

Check out the on going insurance from Sony - may help!