Dreamweaver vs Notepad?

chabos_35

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My opinion is that the DW software is a complete solution about web development. But on the other hand the notepad and outlook are the most useful softwares that Microsoft has developed . So , the DW cost is not very bad because of the DW solutions .. CDoukas ..

Last edited:

websteralex

Reaction score
dreamweaver is better because it highlights cod that you have made a mistake on and create tables easier. Also it base it's layout on css.

olliepop

Reaction score
Dreamweaver because of Remote Testing and file management :)
Its better than having your files stored locally.

jcpartanddesign

Reaction score
When I took a E-Commerce class we had to code all our web pages in notepad and it took forever. Sure you had a lot of control over what you were doing but it was way to time consuming. If coding a simple website then notepad wouldn't be too bad. But websites nowadays almost always have flash, javascript, and so on.

I've been using DW CS4 since it came out and I find it indispensable. Sure it may cost you up front, but in the long run, its cost can be made up for and profited.

Parsa44

Reaction score
Dreamweaver is very helpfull because it has a colour pallate and a load of other cool stuff.
However it doesnt have advanced syntax highlighting like notepad++.

Conclusion:
Use them both!

hezuo

Reaction score
If you need to build a professional website, you should go with Dreamweaver, as it lets you create webpages in a very easy and quick way.
If you want to build a personal site, you can use many of the free tools available on the net. You can even create web pages with MS Word! Obviously, the results are not going to be the same, but at least you can do something.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
And to all of you who think it's expensive think again. It costs $399 and if you're a good developer your average site will allays be more more than that.

kaitia

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm new to the forum but not totally to the web world. I use both DW and Notepad ++. However, I'm one for the free stuff. Lately I'm hooked on Komodo Edit by Active State. If you feel like spending the money you can pay the $295 or $99 (student edition) for the IDE.

Also, in the Linux world there is a great app called Quanta Plus. All the software mentioned supports XHTML, HTML and PHP.

Good luck...

MiguelRuiz

Reaction score
Dreamweaver for sure!
With DW you can see what's going on with the code, maybe you're not typing it well or you have confused the code, and it tells you where is the error and everything! Don't be fooled and use Dreamweaver (CS3 is the best version).
Mike.

mac173

Reaction score
I did not read the entire thread, so if I am repeating someone, sorry.

If you need a cost effective solution to web development, try Xara Web Developer. You can download a free trial, and it is download only for $49. It does not generate a real time source code page, but you can generate the page and view source at any time if you want to review the code.

Give it a try, and see if it meets your needs.

Xara Web Developer

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
On Xara Web Developer web site:
no HTML skills required.

We are talking about DW and Notepad. That means we are talking about coding. This tool that you suggested is for total amateurs that don't know any coding language, and DW and Notepad are not for those kind of people, so please think before you post.

kileso

Reaction score
My suggestion is notepad. Because when you write your own cod u know where to fix a mistake or change something, in Dreamweaver you can not do that entirely. Sure that Dreamweaver haves a lot of tools for customization but he doesn't have tools for all. And plus he generates too much unnecessary cod, so if you are making a complicated page it will take up to much space. :)

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
My suggestion is notepad. Because when you write your own cod u know where to fix a mistake or change something, in Dreamweaver you can not do that entirely. Sure that Dreamweaver haves a lot of tools for customization but he doesn't have tools for all. And plus he generates too much unnecessary cod, so if you are making a complicated page it will take up to much space. :)

You definitively don't know what you're talking about :nuts:

1. DW has code highlighting for error detection.
2. Dreamweaver is not a he.
3. It generates code when you want it to generate code. I don't let it do that. I code all my sites myself and DW is excellent tool for that.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH DW AND WEB DESIGN/DEVELOPMENT PLEASE DON'T POST HERE OR LETS US KNOW YOU ARE NOT EXPERIENCED.

kileso

Reaction score
1. You do not have the right to insult me.
2. I do not like it. And i do not want to argue.
3. I was not talking of actually writing COD in DW. I was talking about using
the tool to let DW make something automatically.
4. You are right if u actually write the COD yourself.

P.S: Nemoj da se pravis pametan ako ne znas o cemu sam pricao.

Technicolour

Reaction score
You would still fail for recommending Notepad over Dreamweaver. Seriously if you use notepad to code your pages then you really need to get with the times, you are going to get a far better productivity level when using a development workspace such as Dreamweaver than you will with a plain text editor.

You could have even gotten some respect by recommending Notepadd++ which at least has auto formatting and highlighting for HTML along with support for a tonne of other file types.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
This thread is turning into "WYSIWYG vs manual coding?" witch is different from "Dreamweaver vs Notepad?" cos Dreamweaver is NOT A WYSIWYG editor, WYSIWYG editor is just one part of Dreamweaver.

I hate to see people saying that Notepad is better just because they think that DW is only a WYSIWYG editor. DW is much more then that and you can't even compare it to Notepad.

durmaq

Reaction score
i never use dreamweaver... i use notepad++ in making my designs... though i'm not yet a master web designer/programmer, i find it more comfortable using notepad++..

but... in one company in which i applied for a job, i was never hired because of that....i said i never use dreamweaver and i won't use dreamweaver in making websites.. lol!
who did they hired? ung kilala nila siempre!!! it's a government office...in the philippines... asa ka pa! lol!

anyway... it's more comfortable for me to use notepad in designing websites!