Low Power PC, (Relatively) High Power PSU

sandogg

Reaction score
I want to build a low power computer for use as a home server/always on machine.
I want to use a low power embedded board such as a VIA C7 based mini-itx board.
However I want to use parts I already have such as Micro ATX PSU, RAM, HDD, Case, case size does not matter to me and seeing I already have these...Don´t want to spend more than needed.

My question is if I use a 300W Micro ATX PSU with a system that will probably draw a Maximum of 120W, how much power am I actually consuming?

Am I only going to be using the 120W needed or is since the PSU is rated at 300W, am I actually using 300W?

Sorry I guess the question sounds a bit dumb but want to make sure.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
heres a link to a Watt calculator for PSU

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

you wont actually be using 300 watts just as you said something like 120 watts total might be more or less

if you want a low powered machine i reccommend getting a moterboard with an Intel Atom en a Nvidia ION chipset that motherboard would consume somewhere between 40-60watts as for the drives the best way to get a low noise/consumption is getting a few 2,5" drives which consume less power then their bigger brothers

Last edited:

sandogg

Reaction score
Thanks Zangetsu.

My main concern is power and maybe noise.

Why do you recommend the Atom board with the Ion chipset?

I am not too concerned with graphic capabilities, I would simply like a low power board with enough processing power to handle basic tasks act as a File and Media server which is cheap.

I was looking at the Jetway JP4 with 1.5GHz Via C7 (12W rated I think).
If it would be an Atom board I would get the Intel D945GCLF Mini-ITX board with the 230 or maybe a bump up to the dual core 330 but these are rated at 30-35W, more than double the power consumption of the Via board.

Any thoughts on the best but lowest powered board?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I would go with an AMD core actually. Probably a $90 Athlon.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If anything, just go with a 250 watt power supply. It won't leave you for much room to upgrade later on but since you wanted a low power, quiet running machine, you might as well go with that. Even if you were to get a 300 watt supply, it'll only consume what it needs. It's peak is 300 watts, where after that the supply will burn up and smell like rotten eggs, or it's fuse will blow. My gaming PC itself has two power supplies, a 1000 watt PSU which runs the heavier hardware such as the video cards and my backup hard drives, and a 500 watt power supply which runs the fans, motherboard, processor, the most important hard drives, my optical drives, as well as my temp monitoring/fan control panel on the case front, and I can roll over to the other supply should one fail on me which hasn't happened yet. In peak usage, measuring with a Kill-A-Watt device, my computer is drawing pretty close to 1,000 watts. When I overclock the box and max it out, it's drawing a little more than that. When it's idle it's using less than 150 watts. So yeah. Fast box, major power sucker when loaded :biggrin:

Last edited:

sandogg

Reaction score
Thanks Smith.

I actually have a spare P4 rig lying around.
I think I will measure its power usage under various circumstances before actually going for a low power embedded solution.
Going by the online power calculators the P4 would use around 171W and an Atom based setup would use around 97W, peak.
The idle power estimates are much wider in difference and then there´s also the power supply´s efficiency.
I guess I can also calculate how much that would be in electricity costs too before committing.
Cheers.

zen-r

Reaction score

Hmm. A man of few words, I guess. :nuts:

By the way, I have a useful tip for saving power whilst using your computer. I've found it can double the duration of my laptop whilst run from batteries.

I've got a hamster wheel connected up to my laptop via a regulator. Mr Fluffy can generate up to 40W for me, depending on how perky he's feeling & if he's had a good nap before-hand.

The only down-side is that when I'm travelling & all the equipment is packed up, his feet tend to stick out of the laptop case. ;)

zen-r

Reaction score
^ That poster was being silly. Please ignore him.

Steeevoe

Reaction score
How about this beast! I saw it down the high street the over day and my jaw dropped! only £250 quid! and extremely small!

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/06/25/review_desktop_pc_acer_aspire_revo/

aceraspirerevo1.jpg

Last edited: