Anyone here using a GTX 260? Or an GTS 250?

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I plan on upgrading from my 8800GT to either a GTX 260 or a GTS 250. The only problem is that the GTX 260 is 10.5" long, and I'm worried it will cover up all four of my SATA ports. The GTS 250 however is the same length as the 8800GT.

Is it possible to install a GTX 260, but still have access to these SATA ports? For instance, if I use some right angled SATA cables for my HDD / optical will I still able to fit this graphics card in?

Right angled SATA cables: http://www.computervideogear.com/sata/images/satara18-l.gif

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If you can manage to fish the cables to the SATAs port behind the card, then yes it is possible. Just try to minimize contact with the card though, as they can run pretty warm if your system does not have decent cooling and you wouldn't want to restrict airflow to the card or rush damaging the cable from the card's heat. I have three GTX280s in my box at the moment, but my SATA ports are near the front of my case, with the SATA cables each being twist tied to each other going to the proper drives.

Could you post up a picture of what you're working with or state what motherboard you have? That'd probably help me out a little more.

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
stonec15.jpg

As you can see all four SATA ports are in the PCI express lane. I just don't know if there's enough clearance between the SATA port and the graphics card to put in a right angled SATA cable. I am using SATA ports 6 & 8 (I don't use ports 5 or 7).

I'm not too worried when it comes to temps.. I'll be running EVGA's precision tool to control fan speeds, and as you can see I can't do an SLI set up anyway

My power supply won't be an issue since it's a 650W Corsair that has 52A on a 12V rail

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, take it like this. From the looks of things you should be able to fit in a GTX260. It's 10 inches in length, and is 4 inches tall when you stand it on it's side, so if you can manage that you'll fit it in. You'll probably have a half an inch to an inch of clearance at the bottom of the card after it is seated to run cables through or for airflow should you start to get tight on space. Looking on nVidia's website, the GeForce 250 GTS is only an inch smaller in length than a GTX 260.

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Well it's 10.5" in length, and by eyeballing it, the graphics card will definitely extend past the SATAs. If I'm lucky I might be able to stick the right angle SATA cables whichever way that allows me to get the graphics card to seat properly.. I'll see if I can borrow my friend's GTX 260 (that will be an odd request) before I buy one

sovietneko

Reaction score
They should fit in right beside it. My 8800GTX is 11 inches long and would block everything if it were not out from the motherboard like half an inch.