Latest update news thread response: 6/22/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elesarr

Reaction score
Corey let me be the first to say in this thread that all the efforts of x10Hosting is deeply appreciated and i for one can verify 100% all the things you said about the "competition" - they are in point of fact no competition whatsoever.

THe services you offer to people who need free hosting for whatever reason and the services you provide for your paying customers is probably the best I have ever seen in my 45 years of life and my 20+ years in the web IT industry.

Hats off to you all!

We're doing our darnedest to inform people (at least the ones who come to the forums) what is going on so they do not submit ridiculous tickets!

We are with the Support Guys in spirit! :)

Keep up the fantastic job you are doing!

Edit:

On a side note I am thrilled with the implementations you mentioned in the Update thread! ;)

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Corey let me be the first to say in this thread that all the efforts of x10Hosting is deeply appreciated and i for one can verify 100% all the things you said about the "competition" - they are in point of fact no competition whatsoever.

THe services you offer to people who need free hosting for whatever reason and the services you provide for your paying customers is probably the best I have ever seen in my 45 years of life and my 20+ years in the web IT industry.

Hats off to you all!

We're doing our darnedest to onform people (at least the ones who come to the forums) what is going on so they do not submit ridiculous tickets!

We are with the Support Guys in spirit! :)

Keep up the fantastic job you are doing!

Think of how many more tickets there'd be without losers like us crawling the forum XD

Thanks again, Corey (even though I'm on paid now)

changc

Reaction score
I just wanted to say that the level of support I've seen here is slowly convincing me to switch over to paid.

itrade4profit

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Corey.

I have been patiently waiting since about last fortnight for the Mail() to start. I now think the patience has been justly rewarded.

hats off to you and your team. Keep it going buddy!!!

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to the non-staff that have put in a lot of work to keep the rest of the users informed. I greatly appreciate it.

shadchan

Reaction score
Thanks Corey, and all staff, for all the great work, and looking forward to the fully functioning bigger and better servers (and openssl)!
I had 2 crons running each at 5 minute intervals, which I now switched - for now, they're set to run at 10 miute intervals - */10.
How would I set them to alternate - one to run at :05, the other at :10, then the first at :15, etc?

Last edited:

all4God

Reaction score
I'm sure you are aware of it, but in case you aren't i'll just add that whatever upgrades you are doing seem to be messing with wordpress blogs, mine has lost all it's posts (happened on saturday, was fine sunday and monday, gone again now)
Hoping this'll be sorted soon!

taha116

Reaction score
corey you can Force people to read what you want them to! Ive seen many free scripts that force a user to read a post on the forums when they login to forums, Im not saying i can do it but i know you guys could come up with a simple script and add it to the support section so everytime someone logs in the are shown a loghtbox popup or something like this special code that wont take any work http://dragonscourge.co.cc/login.php?do=login

For the second and probably best option there is a perfect freee online generator and its completley editable, from colors to title and you can add flash content whatever you like!

Let me just find the bloody link on my computer... Can remember were i saved it. Will edit this post with the link soon, sorry

Got it!

http://popinbuilder.icoder.com/ TAKE A LOOK AT THE MAGIC COREY!

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
corey you can Force people to read what you want them to! Ive seen many free scripts that force a user to read a post on the forums when they login to forums, Im not saying i can do it but i know you guys could come up with a simple script and add it to the support section so everytime someone logs in the are shown a loghtbox popup or something like this special code that wont take any work http://dragonscourge.co.cc/login.php?do=login

For the second and probably best option there is a perfect freee online generator and its completley editable, from colors to title and you can add flash content whatever you like!

Let me just find the bloody link on my computer... Can remember were i saved it. Will edit this post with the link soon, sorry
Got it!
http://popinbuilder.icoder.com/ TAKE A LOOK AT THE MAGIC COREY!
Hmm.....I love my NoScript addon for Firefox. No pop-ups! ;)

Another, less invasive method would be to just email everyone every time there is a News Update. Simples!

That way, people would find out that their website was going down, or might experience some intermittent problems, well before they next log in to the forums. Some people don't log in to the forums for up to 2 weeks, & wouldn't get this sort of important info until it is too late. (- Hence all the angry & frustrated posters we have been having to deal with over in the Community Support section during the last couple of weeks).

Also, over on this thread ; http://forums.x10hosting.com/off-topic/98785-suggestions-more-effective-forum.html#post551710 I discussed in detail my suggestion for putting the News & Server Updates into 1 continuous thread (rather than new threads being started regularly) - so as to allow us to Subscribe to those theads, & receive Notifications when new posts are made. It would also save Corey/ staff from having to repeat copying out information from an old thread, every time a new Update thread is started. :)

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.​

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I agree with zen-r on email notification. I think that's simple and efficient way to deal with updates (and you all know I love simple things :) ).

Elesarr

Reaction score
this might not be the "response" to the Updates that people are expecting, however, I just opened a paid account with x10Hosting because of all their efforts and will be maintaining my free account for a development area ;)

x10Hosting has certainly, imho, proven to be a company I can rely on and not lose sleep over!

x10 FTW! :cool:

Dan

Reaction score
Those talking about email notification, the main reason we haven't done this in the past is the number of accounts we have to send emails too.
It takes us at least a day to send out the newsletter to everyone when we do it, if we make a new announcement every day, the server will probably overload xD

dmoneyman

Reaction score
Can we get an update if Cron has been enabled? Or does that require a ticket? I have a daily script that has been running.
Edit:
Can we get an update if Cron has been enabled? Or does that require a ticket? I have a daily script that has been running.

Update, it looks like it has been enabled

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Those talking about email notification, the main reason we haven't done this in the past is the number of accounts we have to send emails too.
It takes us at least a day to send out the newsletter to everyone when we do it, if we make a new announcement every day, the server will probably overload xD

I see. In that case I assume then, that most people haven't chosen to receive email notifications of updates to many subscribed threads, because that would obviously cause an even greater server load if they did.

Does emailing cause more server load than delivering a web page? Because presumably most people with an account would, if they don't receive an email about important updates, still have to browse the forums to try & figure out what was causing their hosting problems.

Either way, perhaps it's better to load up the server to deliver important news emails, than have prolonged server loads & Support tickets due to the confusion?

Maybe there's a way to selectively reduce the numbers of emails that could be sent, to just active accounts, or just to accounts that have selected to receive them because they don't log in frequently? Something like that? And the email can be kept small in size by being text only, or by only advising the member that there has been a News Update, & to visit the forum if they require more info.

Last edited:

fguy64

Reaction score
I just wanted to say that the level of support I've seen here is slowly convincing me to switch over to paid.

It's crossed my mind too, the paid service is not expensive for someone who uses the services all the time. But all things considered, the free service is an awesome deal if things work right. Like Corey said, there's not many that offer a free package this good. I'll be coming back when the problems are straightened out.

Anyways, far be it from me to complain when things go wrong with a free lunch, but gone wrong they sure have. **** happens I guess, but it's one hell of a way to do an implementation or an upgrade. Chalk one up for a proper project plan.

zen-r

Reaction score
Hello No offense but are u geniuses or something

http://forums.x10hosting.com/off-to...s-thread-response-6-22-09-a-2.html#post552295 Paste the code in support ticket area so it shows only when som1 logs in. And voala. Everttime som1 logs in they first see the latest server alerts(only u will see this after loggin ins upport ticket section.) No worries. No crazy server load either!

Yes, but see my earlier post. Your method doesn't let people know before-hand that there will be problems.

It requires that they already have a problem & are contacting Support, before they then finally receive the Update info. That will be too late for many people.

Also, as I said, many people use pop-up blockers, so won't see it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.