Backup Proposal, Please Leave Feedback

Daily or Monthly Backups

• Speed the servers up, switch to monthly full backups and daily mysql.

Votes: 201 91.8%
  • Keep it the way it is, I like daily backups of all my files.

Votes: 18 8.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
After reading everyone's comments and concerns from our latest poll I have a compromise that I hope everyone will find acceptable. Again, please vote here regarding the issue. It is important to us to get community feedback regarding this. People also wondered if stopping daily backups would speed the servers up... yes it would. Even though we do incremental backups there are a lot of changes done on the free servers everyday, the backups can take anywhere from 1 to 3 hours.

Here is the new plan:
* Full server backups made monthly.
* MySQL databases backed up daily with 20 restore points.

For most webmasters MySQL is what actually stores the important data, all your forum threads, blog posts, stats, etc... Hopefully by backing these up on a daily basis we can make everyone feel more comfortable about not doing full backups.

Sorry for the second poll regarding the subject but it is important we get your feedback on this.

Thanks!

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I like the idea of having backup-ed mysql databases. and you're right most sites that are running a CMS, forum, or any other mysql-driven website don't usually update their html that often, since everything is stored in mysql.

so im one for daily mysql backups, plus im too lazy to do my own =)

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Now that "speed the servers up" is in one of the choices, isn't it obvious everyone's going to pick the first one? :lol:

Danielx386

Reaction score
"Speed the servers up, switch to monthly full backups and daily mysql." My files won't change much, but the Database will change everyday. That the way to go. Thanks Corey

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't change any of my website code in my live environment before testing it out in my live environment. Since my dev copy is versionned, I don't have any problem for the monthly-only file backups.

However, the idea of MySQL daily backup is quite interesting as sometimes I edit the database in my live environment before doing it in my dev environment, and it will provide more security.

vekou

Reaction score
I chose "Speed the servers up, switch to monthly full backups and daily mysql."
Although I think 1 month is a bit too long for a backup, I'm suggesting every two weeks. Since some websites allows users to upload files (eg. forums that let users upload profile pictures). 1 month is a bit long although tolerable.

csc2ya

Reaction score
I've voted to do daily mysql backups and monthly full backups, since as with most sites, the sql database is what holds all the data for my site. (I have local copies of the files for my site....what I don't have is local copies of my sql databases, due to bandwidth issues on my end)

Just as long as there's an easy way to restore them from the backups if needed (which i'm sure there will be).

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think this is a wonderful idea. I'm sure the majority will find it acceptable. :)

TonnyORG

I Code Things
Community Support
Reaction score
Translated to Spanish Forums :)

They will vote here ;)

ah-blabla

Reaction score
I like the idea of having backup-ed mysql databases. and you're right most sites that are running a CMS, forum, or any other mysql-driven website don't usually update their html that often, since everything is stored in mysql.

so im one for daily mysql backups, plus im too lazy to do my own =)
Most software uses mysql, but some also depends on plain text storage, e.g. dokuwiki and sky blue canvas which I use. However setting up a cron job to do a daily backup isn't too much of a bother, so I'm not unduly worried.

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
My website is static without any MySQL database. I have a copy of all pages locally so I guess backup is not so important to me. On the other hand "Speed the servers up" is always a good thing :)

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I too agree with taking the monthly backup of the site and daily backup of mysql. This is good idea.

papichulo_carioco

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Formidable option. I think it's better to make a monthly copy of everything and a daily copy of the database. Yhanks for the options ;)

playminigames

Reaction score
this is a great idea corey and i hope it works great, the only thing that i can see as a problem is the monthly backup as said before. I think that is a little long, as there are always new sites being made, and put on if something crashes it could wipe out a whole site thats not backed up, i think 2 weeks is still better, but i still voted for the first option of faster servers

lvhoang0419

Reaction score
"Speed the servers up, switch to monthly full backups and daily mysql."

This is a very good option to me : anything that would result in speeding up the server, Im all up for it :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.