ABC'S of SMTP POP3 emal setup

zeppfrog

Reaction score
After a few hours, yes, all night and this morning, I finally got my windows mail to send an email via my domain mail. So, since I searched through so many threads on email, Noting my error the same as several others, yet no answer of use, and they were all closed threads, I thought maybe I could pass along my results and save someone else the head ache.

The start is setting up some e-mail accounts in cPanel, that's pretty cut n dried stuff. you make user names and passwords, done deal.

Now go to your client and set it up with your account. run a test, try the cpanel webmail config settings you will find, and recieve comes right through, but then you want to ohhhh, say send.
socket error 0000002 somesmegg errorr blah...

Ok, those settings may work for some, but port 26 , and port 25 (your clients default) will be a no go for most of us.

My fix is simple. USE the ssl settings for outgoing. incoming wont matter. and you can use mail.yourdomain.com then check ssl and port 465. Problem solved

so lets say you do know how to name your account in your mail client, set your username, password, save password (or not)
Check the requires authentication on this page

go to servers

POP3
incoming = mail.mydomain.com
outgoing = mail.mydomain.com

goto Advanced

outgoing, check use ssl... change port to 465. apply

recheck cause my client kicked the server back to 25 the first time.
change it back to 465 and hit apply again, that did it for me. I hope this lets you get a good nights sleep and enjoy the emai@yourdomain.com

ah-blabla

Reaction score
You should use ssl all the time anyway, so it's not too much of a concern that plaintext access doesn't work -- I did test it once though and didn't have problems, so I'm not sure what's up.

Also, it is usually better to use IMAP if you can (X10 provides IMAP) since then read mails are marked as such on the server, meaning it is easier to use multiple clients to access the same inbox. But that's just my personal opinion here.

Anyway, good post, it should stop people asking the same question over and over again, however it is slightly strange that ssl-less access doesn't work.

Last edited:

zeppfrog

Reaction score
I didn't know what was up with it not wanting to send without ssl on port 26 (or 25) either, but I did find alot of other people with the same problem. thus the posting.

SSL is obviously good advice. And IMAP is fine, but you can leave messages on server with POP3 as well, I chose not to take up the space for accounts myself. But I am not trying to be a mail host either.

I do appreciate the comment. There are othe people who will want your advice as well. Thank you.

I would apprciate all other comments, if you have had the same problem, or another one maybe I or someone else could help you with.

lucia1

Reaction score
I didn't know what was up with it not wanting to send without ssl on port 26 (or 25) either, but I did find alot of other people with the same problem. thus the posting.

SSL is obviously good advice. And IMAP is fine, but you can leave messages on server with POP3 as well, I chose not to take up the space for accounts myself. But I am not trying to be a mail host either.

I do appreciate the comment. There are othe people who will want your advice as well. Thank you.

I would appreciate all other comments, if you have had the same problem, or another one maybe I or someone else could help you with.

Lucia1,
I hope this helps others. I have spent a few hours mulling over the same issue. I solved the email problem by using the unsecured server:
Incoming Mail Server: mail.ventana.x10hosting.com with port 110 for pop 3.
The outgoing secure server, Outgoing Mail Server: (SSL) lotus.x10hosting.com (server requires authentication) port 465.

The reason that I cannot use secure outgoing server, LSN-D1651.limestonenetworks.com to acquire SSL, is I have no access to the server to setup an access password. That is the only problem that I have with setting up a secure email server. This server may not be available for free hosting use. If that is the case, then we have no choice, but to upgrade our service. If it is some other reason why we cannot access the server LSN-D1651.limestonenetworks.com, then I hope someone lets us know what is causing the problem.

E-Mail settings:
Account: xxxxxxx@xxxxxx.x10hosting.com
Both Mail Server's User Name: xxxxx

Incoming mail server: mail.xxxxxx.x10hosting.com, network password: xxxxxxx
Uncheck:Check Require Secure Password Authentication (SPA)
Check to Remember Password.

Outgoing mail server: Lotus Server Network Password: Password: xxxxxxxxxx
Check to Remember Password.Check Require Secure Password Authentication (SPA)
Check my out-going server (SMPT) requires Authentication
Reply email address: xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.x10hosting.com

Manual Settings:
Mail Server Username: xxxxxxx+xxxxx.x10hosting.com
Incoming Mail Server: mail.xxxxxx.x10hosting.com
Incoming Mail Server: (SSL) LSN-D1651.limestonenetworks.com

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.xxxxx.x10hosting.com (server requires authentication) Use port 110 not 26.
Outgoing Mail Server: (SSL) lotus.x10hosting.com (server requires authentication) Use port 465.

Supported Incoming Mail Protocols: POP3, POP3S (SSL/TLS), IMAP, IMAPS (SSL/TLS)
Supported Outgoing Mail Protocols: SMTP, SMTPS (SSL/TLS)

A key issue here is recognizing that you must use your network pass word to both servers. I only have network pass words for my hosting server and lotus.x10hosting.com. If I am allowed to use the secure incoming mail server, LSN-D1651.limestonenetworks.com; I need to be able set up and use a pass word there. Otherwise, its zilch. I hope the XHosting heavy weights see this and step in to clarify the situation. Also, I hope this post helps others who are having a problem. See the jpeg attachment for the Advanced Tab Server Port settings. So, I will use SSL and IMAP when I gain access to the secure server.

Attachments

• xhosting info.JPG
    xhosting info.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 245

lucia1

Reaction score
Lucia1,
I hope this helps others. I have spent a few hours mulling over the same issue. I solved the email problem by using the unsecured server:
Incoming Mail Server: mail.ventana.x10hosting.com with port 110 for pop 3.
The outgoing secure server, Outgoing Mail Server: (SSL) lotus.x10hosting.com (server requires authentication) port 465.

The reason that I cannot use secure outgoing server, LSN-D1651.limestonenetworks.com to acquire SSL, is I have no access to the server to setup an access password. That is the only problem that I have with setting up a secure email server. This server may not be available for free hosting use. If that is the case, then we have no choice, but to upgrade our service. If it is some other reason why we cannot access the server LSN-D1651.limestonenetworks.com, then I hope someone lets us know what is causing the problem.

E-Mail settings:
Account: xxxxxxx@xxxxxx.x10hosting.com
Both Mail Server's User Name: xxxxx

Incoming mail server: mail.xxxxxx.x10hosting.com, network password: xxxxxxx
Uncheck:Check Require Secure Password Authentication (SPA)
Check to Remember Password.

Outgoing mail server: Lotus Server Network Password: Password: xxxxxxxxxx
Check to Remember Password.Check Require Secure Password Authentication (SPA)
Check my out-going server (SMPT) requires Authentication
Reply email address: xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.x10hosting.com

Manual Settings:
Mail Server Username: xxxxxxx+xxxxx.x10hosting.com
Incoming Mail Server: mail.xxxxxx.x10hosting.com
Incoming Mail Server: (SSL) LSN-D1651.limestonenetworks.com

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.xxxxx.x10hosting.com (server requires authentication) Use port 110 not 26.
Outgoing Mail Server: (SSL) lotus.x10hosting.com (server requires authentication) Use port 465.

Supported Incoming Mail Protocols: POP3, POP3S (SSL/TLS), IMAP, IMAPS (SSL/TLS)
Supported Outgoing Mail Protocols: SMTP, SMTPS (SSL/TLS)

A key issue here is recognizing that you must use your network pass word to both servers. I only have network pass words for my hosting server and lotus.x10hosting.com. If I am allowed to use the secure incoming mail server, LSN-D1651.limestonenetworks.com; I need to be able set up and use a pass word there. Otherwise, its zilch. I hope the XHosting heavy weights see this and step in to clarify the situation. Also, I hope this post helps others who are having a problem. See the jpeg attachment for the Advanced Tab Server Port settings. So, I will use SSL and IMAP when I gain access to the secure server.

This just failed again this evening. So it does not work consistently. Still working on itg.