Too Draconian perhaps?

ecg123

Reaction score
I guess all you folks running x10hosting are young and healthy.

Perhaps you never think you will get old and sick!

Poor old me spent over a month in hospital a while back.

So what? you are probably thinking.

Well, if I start a free site and then fall ill again... it seems you will delete my account past retrieval.

The rules about visiting forums every 14 days, and then having 10 days to appeal, means that anyone who is off the internet for 25 days will lose their whole website.

Yes... I know that you can get internet access in hospital. But if you are very ill and heavily medicated, you just can't use the internet.

Incidentally, guess who was the meanest to me when I was ill?

No, it wasn't anyone to whom I owed money. They were all considerate.

It was my local public library! They say I must pay a fine for keeping my library books past the return date, and they just won't accept being in hospital as an excuse. I am still arguing. It might even go to Court!

So, could I suggest that inactive accounts not be deleted for, say, 3 months?

(Incidentally, Draco was an ancient Greek ruler who was so harsh that his name has been immortalised as meaning extra strict. A bit like the Gestapo on steroids.)

nexhunter

Reaction score
Hello ecg123 over the past weeks the rules have been updated and instead of 14 days inactivity it is now 31 days. You can purchase an inactivity timer which will allow you to be inactive for 1 year for $3

http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-announcements/103994-additional-changes.html#post592195

http://parkzer.co.cc/x10hosting.php?id=inactivity

edit:
now for the hospital/medical reasons for not being able to get onto the forums for over 31 days I'm not sure what Corey's stance is on how to deal with that

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it is now at least 41 days until termination of an inactive account, updated from 24. So hopefully the additional time will allow for situations like this.

In all honesty we would not be able to do 3 months, at least not anytime soon. It's not so much the space the accounts take up but everything that we run in order to track abuse, stats, etc... each account has entries in many different locations and every script has to deal with these entries. Each account for example takes about 15 lines in the Apache config, everytime a change is made to a domain, account added, or deleted Apache reloads this file. So you can see how having thousands upon thousands of inactive accounts can cause some issues. :)