What languages I should learn to make a killer website

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have seen one website www.w3schools.com. There I have found many languages to learn like HTML, Javascript, PHP, ASP, ASP.Net and many more. I want a to make a professional website like some of the best that exist today. So what languages I should learn for that. I want to focus that I cannot learn everything so please don't advice me to learn every language.

miguelkp

Reaction score
HTML and CSS are all you need. The easiest ones. And although you will only obtain static websites, most of websites don't need dynamic content management and so.

With HTML and CSS, try to observe the standards (W3C) and all will work fine in most of explorers. Keep in mind that is more important make a quite good website for almost all explorers than make a really very very very very very... very good one only for Firefox, for example...

Last edited:

ah-blabla

Reaction score
I concur on the above: keep to static websites at first. Later on it is a good idea to learn programming languages, but don't rush into it: you might want to use Javascript with your static pages to "liven" themo up, and for making dynamic pages you will probably want to use php since it is a web standard. However python, using the Django framework, is also a growing trend.

Also, English is also important. Make sure your English is correct -- and then use a spellchecker just to make sure. There's nothing worse than websites full of incorrect English.

Last edited:

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
HTML and CSS are the most basic, after you master those, I'd look into PHP and Javascript.

Also, English is also important. Make sure your English is correct -- and then use a spellchecker just to make sure. There's nothing worse than websites full of incorrect English.
I second that.

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
And consider that two of the most popular sites are CraigsList and Drudge.

Not stellar examples of webdesign, but what draws visits is content.

Then usablility.

neteater

Reaction score
just focus on seo and select the words on which you want to get listed in search and then contact me

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
If you don't know anything then this is the best order

HTML
CSS
JavaScript
PHP with MySQL
AJAX

Anyway the recommended site is http://www.w3schools.com

Last edited:

apoorav

Reaction score
HTML and CSS are the basic languages for web development, you can master PHP and Javascript afterwards.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Apporav, r u here?
Edit:
to chat in PM is very difficult here, come on post here

Last edited:

apoorav

Reaction score
Apporav, r u here?
Edit:

I have not PM u, excuse me u PM me i always post.
Edit:
Apporav, r u here?
Edit:
If you want to make a website by your own you can do so by learning any programming language

Last edited:

gonzana

Reaction score
You are right guys, HTML is the basic one. Now I'm learning something of PHP, but little by little...

And English of course, in order to programming your web.

Last edited:

marley17

Reaction score
you used first try to be more familiar to html and css. than jumping php asp.net and etc. like others sad take your time. and most importantly try to enjoy. one mistake that ive got before was jumping to one or another..because i got bored. try to enjoy .. also when we talk about programming language there is always a prerequisite to each other .. meaning.. if you want to learn javascript you must have knowledge to html and css.. so with php.. you must have knowlegde to html javascript and css and so on... one more thing .. look for examples of a powerful ,profesional,killer website and what language they are made to ...

example.. facebook.com is made of "php language"

while "myspace.com made out of asp.net"

so hope this one help you my friend:drool:

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Marley17, can you answer my one more post, for code of comment form