Bing Up, Bing Down, Bing Up

Danielx386

Reaction score
:biggrin:Time to pick on Microsoft:biggrin:

Last night, Microsoft’s servers Binged crashed and many tweeple thought that it’s a nice opportunity to make fun of the latest Google competitor.
Visitors to Bing.com were getting a browser error message rather than a search bar. Service was down for at least 45 minutes before being restored around 7:10 p.m. PST.
The outage comes after a big week in which Microsoft announced new search abilities for Bing as well as improved mapping.:biggrin:

http://techpp.com/2009/12/04/bing-up-bing-down-bing-up/

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That sucks... feel bad for bing...(I like it more than google hehe.
Edit:
Something about the backgrounds and those boxes that tell you some interesting things when you hover over it.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
You have to love it when Microsoft makes the mistake of fat fingering production code onto their live environment. They had to roll back the site to a working copy until they finish up with what they were doing. Google does do the same mistakes, be aware of that :)

Yes, GMail does go down for hours at times. However Google tends to be more open in terms of what happened.

felabria

Reaction score
Ye, at Firefox 3.5.5 its broken and 3.5.6 beta too... ie too... firefox 3.6 beta 4 too... Google Chrome too..., WTF IS THIS? oh and at Opera 10.10 too... xD

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I don't like Bing, it doesn't index my site properly. It still has my old URL in their search results.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't like Bing, it doesn't index my site properly. It still has my old URL in their search results.

For me, Bing seems to be REALLY slow at even getting my site indexed. Oddly enough despite it saying it's only indexed one page of my site, if I do a site-wide Index search on it I get a page or two of results. Google has pages and always has no problem having GoogleBot show up every half hour or so. Yahoo shows up every now and again and recently a new Chinese search engine has been hitting it as well.

kkenny

Reaction score
^ Haha same. I have Googlebot indexing my site every hour or so, as well as Yahoo, Ask, AOL bot and a bunch of other sites. I have yet to see Bing index my sites, why :(

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Personally Speaking I don't like bing. Till now I didn't used it much just may be one or two time I might have used it.

lynnwood

Reaction score
I actually like the mobile Bing site. It is my favorite search engine while browsing on my Blackberry. I like the mapping service in particular.

My company gave me a Blackberry with a built-in GPS several months ago. But there is no mapping software loaded on it and it is locked down by policies so I cannot load any programs on it.

I found some javascript that calls a Blackberry API and grabs the GPS coordinates. I configured it to have it send the coordinates to Bing and it displays a nice map of where you are. I took hard looks at all the different mapping sites on my mobile device but Bing clearly rocks. Check out my script here: http://clh.x10hosting.com/bbMap.htm