Why are other programming languages used when all I need is HTML please?

electricwally

Reaction score
Hi Members

I'm fairly new to programming and was wondering why other programming languages are used to design web pages? I thought all I needed to learn was HTML.

I'm also currently learning C# programming language. However I am not using it for web pages. I only use HTML for web page design.

Thank you.

as4s1n

Reaction score
You use HTML to write the basic structure of the website, you use CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) to style elements so it looks better and to arrange HTML elements for an aesthetically pleasing design, and you use JavaScript to bring it to life (interactivity). You use PHP/ASP to make it dynamic with a connection to the database and easier to maintain. Really the only languages you NEED to know are (x)HTML CSS and PHP/ASP for a modern, decent website, but it's nice to have an extensive collection.

Last edited:

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
HTML isn't a programming language, it defines the structure of a document. Programs are ordered instructions to be executed; they describe how to compute something.

Last edited:

joelschw

Reaction score
Yeah exactly what these guys said above, another way of thinking of the relationship between HTML and the other web languages is this:

HTML will happily format a page that you create / design.

'Server side' languages like PHP and ASP will do all of the fancy stuff you see on these forums like 'Log ins' and 'Post submissions'

Hope this helps
j

marshian

Reaction score
If you say "programming language", I think of languages like C++, C, Java, etc. Their (primary) purpose isn't to be used in websites. They're used to create stand-alone applications that run outside of a browser, like Photoshop or OpenOffice.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
C++, C, Java
Except that I've seen CGI apps written in C++ and C, and, until Flash came along, Java applets were once fairly common embedded in webpages. Perl, Ruby and C# are quite often used for both. JS, PHP and even RTML are very much programming languages. Granted, there is a difference in common usage. Another big difference is that C++, C and Java are typically compiled, while languages used in web development are typically interpreted.

But do not speak to me of any VB, for they are abominations.

Last edited:

Hello71

Reaction score
C[++] is compiled into machine code, while Java is compiled into bytecode, which is then interpreted.