Votes: 3 33.3%
  • ****(best)

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • *****(Excellent)

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Hi, today we are going to see a new version(Maverick or 10.10) of ubuntu.I will download it as soon as it is launched.

Are you going to download it as soon as it is launched or going to get it through free shipping or from a friend?
Also share your opinion about it after you finish downloading and installing it.

conzone

Reaction score
its only the RC version don't want to be a test pilot this month......

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Sticking with 10.04 for awhile.
I prefer to wait and see a little feedback about new versions before installing them.
I will be looking forward to seeing remarks in this thread.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not sure about the increase of 'Eye Candy' though I'm sure it makes a lot of M$ users more comfortable when they try it out using a bootable demo disc.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
I played around with the beta a few days after it was released. It seems to have a focus on media.

I made some screenshots and an overview of what's new on my site: http://www.techairlines.com/2010/09/04/ubuntu-maverick-meerkat-beta/

I mostly run Ubuntu on my netbook so I'm excited about the new "Unity" interface for the Netbook Remix edition. I haven't actually tried it out myself yet, but from the video, it looks awesome and much better than the current interface.

steronius

Reaction score
had the in-place distro upgrade since alpha. no problems except with an update or two, but further updates resolved the issue.

I see no difference first hand from 10.04 to 10.10, but then again i dont have a touch screen either.

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
I have downloaded ubuntu 10.10 32 bit and installed it.It has a nice user interface and some new softwares are embedded with it.But I am dissatisfied with this release.For the following reasons,

1) Graphics Driver
I have to install nvidia driver manually before I could see the new ubuntu installation
2)/dev/mixer is not working
It means that I can't listen to line-in audio, so I can watch TV but can't listen to it.More info is here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/613809
3)I can't set my presence in empathy IM.

What I like:-
1) New interface, look of firefox is greatly improved.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I have definitely decided to stay with 10.04 for the foreseeable future.
I have to install nvidia driver manually before I could see the new ubuntu installation
Ubuntu has never played well with NVidia, but that can be fixed with drivers.
It appears that 10.10 has major issues with wireless adapters. I have seen many complaints about this and no usable solutions so far.
And reports about other bugs keep coming in.
Apparently 10.10 did not stay in Beta Testing stage an adequate amount of time.

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
I agree it is better to stay with 10.04, because there is no major updates in 10.10.Also the kind of problems I am facing with ubuntu 10.10, I regret my decision to install it by removing 10.04 from my system.If I want to listen to Line-IN audio in ubuntu 10.10 then I have to download source of Linux kernel then patch it, then compile it and then install it.Also for bluetooth dialup connection I have to use pon command because blueman says my mobile is not GSM/CDMA.This is resulting in the situation where network manager and application depends on it don't know internet is connected.Those who say it is good for windows users, I can't agree with them.It is totally unhelpful for a windows user.Even to listen a mp3 file you need to install soft-wares that require Internet connection.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I am starting to suspect that Network Manager in 10.10 is a mess that is largely unusable for many common tasks.
I can understand why Ubuntu would want to make the transition for Windows user easier, but any adaptations intended to accommodate this goal should not interfere with the overall performance of Ubuntu or cause Ubuntu to be difficult to use for current Ubuntu users. If a current Windows user is uncomfortable with making a full transition to Ubuntu they should consider going with a dual boot system which is very easy to install and setup. I have done it several times.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Ubuntu 10.10 seems to be pretty decent. One of my Ubuntu machines that were upgraded had an issue with the NVIDIA driver crashing X server and preventing it from starting up. I had to remove it manually from the system in order to get it working without booting to a command line. I installed the 2D Xorg driver for NVIDIA, but I'm waiting for the updated driver from NVIDIA to come out to solve the problem, unless I can find a solution to it. Otherwise, it seems to be working just fine for me.

In a Virtual Machine I have running Ubuntu 10.10, the VirtualBox Guest Addons don't seem to be fully working, especially the 3D functionality of the driver so I'll have to see why that is, since a VirtualBox update came out a few days after Ubuntu's release.

Last edited:

jpalma3291

Reaction score
I'm sticking with 10.04 until I hear more about how well the new features work. My dual boot Ubuntu/Windows machine depends on wireless. and I've already had past issues with upgrades breaking my carefully-constructed wireless connections (though wireless set-up did work well in 10.04).

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
I'm sticking with 10.04 until I hear more about how well the new features work. My dual boot Ubuntu/Windows machine depends on wireless. and I've already had past issues with upgrades breaking my carefully-constructed wireless connections (though wireless set-up did work well in 10.04).

You can check features yourself by downloading iso file from ubuntu.com and can create a bootable pen drive using start up disk creation tool already present in ubuntu 10.04.Then reboot your system and make your removable usb drive is a first boot device, save settings and exit from bios then restart your system.Alternatively if you don't want to play with bios you can press f8 when splash appears in case of Asus motherboard and then select the boot device from which you want to boot.

Creating a startup disk has two benefits.
1) It saves a cd rom.
2)You can save your work and setting in removable drive while you try ubuntu.Whereas in case of live cd you can't save your work and softwares installed.Startup disk also installs ubuntu faster than live cd, if you want to install it.

dfsgdgdf

Reaction score
Been using 10.10 since the day it was released, and in my opinion it is the best version of Ubuntu they have come out with.

New kernel, new GFX drivers...just absolutely splendid. :)