Heating Problem

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Hi, my system is heating too much.

This is my system specification:-
1)Motherboard:- Asus P5KPL AM/PS
2)Graphics Card:- Palit GeForce® 9400GT Super+1GB (1024MB)
3)Processor:- Intel® Pentium® D Processor 820
4)Hard Disk:- Samsung 80 GB
5)RAM:- 1GB 667MHZ DDR2
6)Cabinet:- Intex(It supports two more fan, which I haven't installed now.)

Is this problem is being caused by graphics card or motherboard and processor are not compatible?

Currently, temperatures are:-
CPU:- 81 C(160 F) Fan Speed 4821~ RPM
MotherBoard 49 C(120 F)
Graphics Card 64 C(147 F)

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
one thing i know is that the whole solution lie in thermal paste/compound and its uniform thin spreading on the cpu surface.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Airflow is everything (well, unless you're using a liquid cooling system). (And I'll assume you're using the thermal transfer paste properly.) We can't see inside your box, don't know what processor or heatsink/fan you're using, can't see what your wiring layout looks like, etc. Sometimes it's just a matter of using a few cable ties strategically. Make sure that cool air can get in and that hot air can get out (and don't put the box in an area where the hot air is just going to get sucked back into the case).

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
one thing i know is that the whole solution lie in thermal paste/compound and its uniform thin spreading on the cpu surface.

How I can check thermal paste is there or not?If I would remove the fan above CPU then this would remove the paste between fan and CPU.So I guess I need to buy the paste and then I have to apply it.I don't know how much amount of paste I should use and how to apply?

This is making my system shut down whenever I do lot of computing task.Also my system gets restarted due to voltage fluctuation.

Is unexpected system shut down has anything to do with graphics card and smps(450 watt, 230 V)?

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't take any action listening to americans. Don't take your heat sink out cause thermal compounds are not so easily available as there in USA.
If you know anybody who owns a computer shop or repair shop or anybody who works there then ask him. It comes free with every heat sink (some already applied, some need a apply). And the compound provided with one heat sink is sufficiently enough for at least three heat sinks. So probably have an extra one for you. They gave it to me for free.
Or search for "Artic Silver" on ebay. It will cost you nearly 900 INR and you can use it 100 times. 9 Rs, huh?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't take any action listening to americans.

I'll have to assume that you're either blind or developmentally impaired. I am most assuredly not American, and that's easy enough to see even if you have images turned off in your browser.

And that you don't know much about troubleshooting problems like this one -- it is far easier to tie off cables, make sure ventilation ports/screens are clear, and physically reposition a box, then test after each change than it is to jump right to the least likely culprit and spend money you don't have to spend.

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
make sure ventilation ports/screens are clear, and physically reposition a box, then test after each change than it is to jump right to the least likely culprit and spend money you don't have to spend.

I did exactly all this today, all wires in cabinet are tied in one place and they don't interfere with cpu fan.Then I removed cover of cabinet and started my system, I played a pc game(to do some heavy computing) for 1 hour and my system didn't turn off automatically but temperature of CPU increased to 81 C then with cover of cabinet opened I did php programming in ubuntu and CPU temperature decreased to 73 C.I guess problem is with the CPU fan installation.

In your experience if I install one more fan (just like a exhaust fan) in cabinet than it will make any difference.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
essellar, I had clearly seen that you are from Canada. But you interpreted my post wrongly. From "americans" I mean all those writers of several articles on the net on "how to apply thermal compound".

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's the common thing for Pentium D CPUs to overheat. My brother had exactly the same CPU (820d) and exactly the same problem few years ago. Cleaning your CPU cooler and some new thermal compound will make things better but it won't solve your problem entirely. The thing is that Intel shipped Pentium D CPUs with standard boxed coolers although they generate more heat. That's why (if you want to solve this problem once and for all) I suggest you do what my brother did, buy a new CPU cooler. He got OCZ Vanquisher few years ago and it's still working fine.

Last edited:

admael

Reaction score
do you have any case fans installed? if it shuts down automatically and you suspect the psu, haver it tested.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using Tapatalk

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
do you have any case fans installed? if it shuts down automatically and you suspect the psu, haver it tested.

Yes I tested PSU, it is fine.As I told above if I use computer with my cabinet opened then it don't turn off automatically.This indicates that problem lies with CPU heating.

@Leviathon Thanks, I think your suggestion can be followed because it is product of experience.Actually this processor never had problem with intel 945 chipset but I don't know why it don't like Asus motherboard.Well I think changing cooling solution(fan) will be a good idea.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
By brothers motherboard was also Asus (P5PL2). Don't know if that has anything to do with this problem but new (and better) CPU fan will definitely solve this problem. The only question is would you buy a new CPU fan or spend a little bit more on a brand new CPU. You can buy a cheap CPU that is more powerful then 820d that is only a few $ more expensive then a good CPU fan.

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
The only question is would you buy a new CPU fan or spend a little bit more on a brand .
Thanks, I will have to do a research first, how much the cooling fan you suggested is going to cost me and is it available in my city or not and similar search will be required for new processor too.Since when I bought this new motherboard I have to lose my two RAM sticks(533 MHZ) because it requires 667/800 MHZ RAM and now processor?Worst thing about it is that it has a power stablizer which restarts computer under conditions of voltage fluctuation, even when I have 1 KW voltage stablizer and 600 VA UPS to protect it.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Caution: Asus Motherboard found.

I also have asus motherboard and Intel dual core processor and same problem.

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That Vanquisher is going to cost quite a bit -- the alternative (getting a newer-generation CPU/heatsink/fan) will work out to nearly the same price and run cooler. You can get by much cheaper, but it means you need to be a bit on the handy side. A cheap case fan will improve things a lot, but only if it's actually helping airflow. If it's interfering with the CPU fan's airflow, either blowing against the exhaust or starving the inlet, it can actually make things much worse. You have to situate the case fan correctly, and you'd probably have to fabricate a baffle or a duct in order to get the maximum airflow through the CPU heat sink. (Even if you are hopeless with actual sheet metal work, if you can design it you can get it built cheaply enough. A bit of thin card and sticky tape is all you need to prototype the mod; someone with a bit of sheet metal, tin snips and a couple of screws or rivets can make it permanent once you've got it right.)

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
That Vanquisher is going to cost quite a bit -- the alternative (getting a newer-generation CPU/heatsink/fan) will work out to nearly the same price and run cooler. You can get by much cheaper, but it means you need to be a bit on the handy side. A cheap case fan will improve things a lot, but only if it's actually helping airflow. If it's interfering with the CPU fan's airflow, either blowing against the exhaust or starving the inlet, it can actually make things much worse. You have to situate the case fan correctly, and you'd probably have to fabricate a baffle or a duct in order to get the maximum airflow through the CPU heat sink. (Even if you are hopeless with actual sheet metal work, if you can design it you can get it built cheaply enough. A bit of thin card and sticky tape is all you need to prototype the mod; someone with a bit of sheet metal, tin snips and a couple of screws or rivets can make it permanent once you've got it right.)
Thanks for your technical insight,

Yes I have to do something soon to tackle this problem of overheating.

krofunk

Reaction score
in the mean time (and this may sound stupid) but don't forget that heat rises. if you lay your computer on its side (so the back of the motherboard is on the "floor") all the heat from the heatsink will be aided by my good friend physics :)

Its important you remember heat rises when you install additional fans into your case as well, meaning you should have exhausts at the top and inlets at the bottom (also don't forget most PSU's function as an exhaust) using this way of thinking I keep an Athlon II x4 below 60* with the use of only one case fan + Zalman cooler (due to noise from the stock cooler)

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
@Krofunk Thanks for your suggestion, My motherboard's back is not on floor instead it is at the 90 degree from the floor and I don't have any case fan installed.There is only one fan above CPU which came free with CPU.This fan makes too much noise as well.

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
I didn't do anything to sort it till now, as a first step I want to try thermal paste.But I don't have time to purchase it.Winter season is going on in India so it is working fine at 73' C.Although whenever I play the game I have to open cover of cabinate otherwise temperature reaches to 94' C and system gets turned off.

Can you tell me what is the normal operating temperature range of the CPU?

Last edited: