IM/Chat Bar

rajat44

Banned
Reaction score
is there ANY resource/code with which we can get an instand messaging service, like facebook etc? it would be nice if we could integrate it to our site(i have a member system).

please, if any of you know the code or where to get it from, could u share it? :)
thnks in advance! :D

shant93

Reaction score
I'm not too sure, but i seem to remember that any script which has to constantly access the server (like IM) is against the TOS.
Sorry.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm not too sure, but i seem to remember that any script which has to constantly access the server (like IM) is against the TOS.
Sorry.
From Terms Of Service:
"Shoutbox\Chat Scripts: Use of these scripts is strictly forbidden due to the amount of MySQL queries they take. Accounts found with chat scripts or shoutboxes will be suspended."

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
But one good thing..use joomla + jomsocial both are free GNU/GPL
Jomsocial is just like facebook or orkut.You will have a community.This is no formal chat script any way.Its joomla which takes control.
But please speak to a community advocate before you implement.This confirms if you can use it or not.

Regards,
VVBB

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
That's good to know. Would this apply to an Illuminated account as well? The premium ToS have this which may fall into the same category, but I'm not too sure:
Scripts that run continuously

gpyong

Reaction score
I don't like to connect the chat bar to other SNS (as some commercial chat script did), I 've develop my own chat bar for my own member. The conversation is not stored using any database but a flat file.

screen1krg.jpg

You can test my chat bar performance by open 2 different browsers and chat using different account.

you can login using a demo account : username : test123 password: 123

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
You're allowed to run Ajax chat script on Premium and VPS, but not Free (including Illuminated)

~Callum

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Correction, we actually do allow chat scripts on illuminated, that is the only difference from the free hosting TOS.

We can allow that due to two facts:
1) there's less users sharing the resources, and it is a better server.
2) Illuminated, and premium, operates with cloud linux, which basically means your account get a "hard" limit if you use up too much for a longer period, meaning you can't really use more then your fair share.

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
They do, except for that detail...

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I was informed it works on Illuminated actually Alex; just not Prime because Prime doesn't actually change the server you're on, whereas Illuminated -does-.