Elgg Not Installing and mod_rewrite Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredjaredjared

Reaction score
I posted this same message on my friend's account since I couldn't figure out how to make a forum account, but now I have one so:

Is it possible to install Elgg on my website? Whenever I try to, I get the following error:

Not Found

The requested URL /home/jrs/public_html/members/engine/handlers/action_handler.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

If anybody has Elgg installed on their site, can you please help me?

Also, I don't think that my mod_rewrite is working. Elgg provides a code that you can implement on your website to see of mod_rewrite is working or not, and when I go to the page that the code is on, it says that mod_rewrite doesn't work. You can try it for yourself at http://jaredstark.exofire.net/testing.php.

Thanks in advance for your help!

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
I looked at your site but the directory engine/ doesn't seem to exist: /home/jrs/public_html/members/engine/handlers/action_handler.php To check my statement, just follow the links from public_html and click on the next director in order from that requested url. There's members/, and then there's no engine/. The only thing in members/ are two directories called f/ and m/

That's why you're getting a 404 Not Found error. You must have installed it in another directory under public_html somewhere or you need to redo it so that it's correctly uploaded.

Last edited:

jaredjaredjared

Reaction score
Sorry, but I posted the wrong thing in the last post. The error is actually the following:

Not Found

The requested URL /home/jrs/public_html/members/m/engine/handlers/action_handler.php was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

and the URL that it's trying to go to is:

http://jaredstark.exofire.net/members/m/action/systemsettings/install

jaredjaredjared

Reaction score
This is what I put into the .htaccess file:

Code:
RewriteEngine on 
RewriteRule ^/testing.php$ /modrewrite.php

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Is your .htaccess in your public_html directory? If it is, then try:

RewriteRule ^testing\.php$ modrewrite.php

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
There is nothing we can do to recover the public_html directory.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello,

No, I have recreated the folder, the files can't be restored.

Last edited:

jaredjaredjared

Reaction score
Oh. That sucks. Back on topic now, I'll have to try that after I restore everything else that I just so stupidly deleted.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

Oh. That sucks. Back on topic now, I'll have to try that after I re-make everything else that I just so stupidly deleted.

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Then try to use Rewrite Base / at the top of everything in your .htaccess.

jaredjaredjared

Reaction score
There is a space specified in the .htaccess file that elgg supplied that let me do that, but it still didn't work. What about the mod_rewrite issue that my website is having? As asked my friend who also uses your host to do the same tests that I did and it said that it was working on his website.

Status
Not open for further replies.