Laptop switches itself off a couple of seconds after switching it on

smithee

Reaction score
Hi all,

Here's an unusual problem... When I press the ON button on my laptop, it would switch itself on as expected; the lights comes on and the fan could be heard. After about a second or two, it would just then switch itself off. After about a few seconds of thinking if I'm going insane or not, I attempt to switch it on a second time, of which it will always boot up with no problems whatsoever.

What I have just described does not occur that regularly, probably once a week. However it does occur, and although it doesn't seem to be doing much harm, it would be good to know if this was normal. If it is a sign of a serious problem brewing up, then please say! Otherwise, I'm intrigued as to why it does it.

Thanks!

smithee

Reaction score
Okay, just to update you guys that it's done it again... it actually stays on for about 2-4 seconds, and then switches off. I think it occurs when it's not been switched on for a while, and then switching it on whilst it's not using power from the mains. Maybe there's not enough power to run through the entire system fully, so it cuts itself out instead; when I switch it back on, there's still some "juice" in it, so it's able to power itself fully. I'm going to try it again tomorrow whilst it's not plugged in to see if it happens again. If it doesn't, then the following day I will try when it is plugged in.

Finally, I forgot to post what laptop it is. It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro L650-1CH:
http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/product/Satellite-Pro-L650-1CH/1090501

Once again, thank you :)

henk506673

Reaction score
Toshiba laptops often have unusual problems that have no explination but if it is less than 1 year old it should be covered under waranty. let me know more details about it such as bios and specifications like that.

rodpeterson48

Reaction score
I would look at a couple of things:
-look at the switch when the lid is closed, try pressing it when the laptop first boots up
-hook up external display, make sure the laptop is set to dual display, see what appears on second screen on boot up.
-Take the laptop apart, re-seat any components you can:
memory, cpu, hard drive, card

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
This happens when the laptop is extensively used in different environments.The reason can be dust getting into slots on fans inside.
Also the battery terminals become a bit capacitive.
Try wiping the battery with a dry cloth.So do for the terminals on the Laptop in the battery slot.Clean the fan area with low power vaccum cleaner.
Put the battery on ,power on, switch pc on + change the power options to balanced mode and shut down.
Remove the Power terminal and switch on the Laptop using battery power.
Revert back if you succeed..
Wish you good luck.

Jennacide

Reaction score
I'm wondering how old this machine is... Over time laptops and netbooks develop strange quirks and frankly, there's really no telling what it may or may not be if that's the case but I can say this, it sounds like it might be a short, or if the machine is say closing in on two or more years old, it could be the battery. One trick that takes care of shorts pertaining to a dying battery:

1. Turn the machine off and remove the battery
2. Have the machine plugged in and power it on

If you don't have issues in this configuration, then it's probably the bat. If the issue continues, I'd be more concerned with the power supply having a short. Sometimes shorts develop in the wires leading to the screen and this can happen when the wires get crunched through months if not years of opening and closing the lid.

Another thing you can try if it really doesn't want to power up:

1. Turn the machine off and remove the battery
2. Hold the power button down for say... 30 seconds or so
3. Replace the battery and test

Laptops are cool, but the tech just isn't there for them to last more than say... 2 to 5 years or so. I really hope any or all of these posts help you out, let us know how it goes!

smithee

Reaction score
Toshiba laptops often have unusual problems that have no explination but if it is less than 1 year old it should be covered under waranty. let me know more details about it such as bios and specifications like that.

It's now over a year old (just!), so it's no longer covered! The BIOS is by InsydeH2O, version 1.80, EC version 1.20, revision 3.5. Some notable options selected include:
  • Power Management:
    • Wake-up on LAN: Disabled
    • Wake on Keyboard: Disabled
    • Critical Battery Wake-up: Enabled
    • Dynamic CPU Frequency Mode: Dynamic Switch
    • Core Multi-Processing: Enabled
    • Intel Turbo Boost Technology: Enabled
    • eSATA: Enabled
    • SATA Interface Performance: Preformance
  • Advanced:
    • Boot Speed: Normal
    • Execute-Disable Bit Capacity: Available
    • Virtualization Technology: VT-x Only
    • USB Legacy Emulation: Enabled
The full specification can be found at http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=UK&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=1090501 (it's a discontinued model now).

This happens when the laptop is extensively used in different environments.

It might well be! I usually switch it on whilst it's in the conservatory where it can get very hot, but I've switched it on today and day before where it was in a much cooler room, and it turned itself on fine.

To everyone else's advice, I want to say thank you very much for taking your time to reply to this, and what I'll do is I'll print this thread out (so I can refer to it whilst the laptop's turned off!) and proceed with your instructions later on.

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Oops..then you have to find the Safety temperature setting inside your BIOS settings.As you know,BIOS is a collection of system programs, which are stored in the ROM memory of your motherboard. These programs are startup software for any computer. They monitor all components of your computer.
Though you might know all the below,in BIOS, you can find all the basic data about your computer:
1.list of components,
2.speed of CPU,
3.motherboard clock,
4.temperature of system and CPU,
5.cooler speed etc.
The optimum temperature depends on the type of processor. If it is AMD processor its normal temperature is about 60 degrees. If it is Intel processor, its normal temperature is about 40 degrees centigrade. If processor reaches the temperature over 20 degrees then normal you should turn it off. Most motherboards can be set to do that automatically.
Motherboard has its own battery to support the BIOS. If that battery fails, the BIOS will loose its content and your computer would not start. If your motherboard manufacturer publishes the newer version of BIOS, you should definitely download and install that version. It would solve your problem.
It's now over a year old (just!), so it's no longer covered! The BIOS is by InsydeH2O, version 1.80, EC version 1.20, revision 3.5. Some notable options selected include:
  • Power Management:
    • Wake-up on LAN: Disabled
    • Wake on Keyboard: Disabled
    • Critical Battery Wake-up: Enabled
    • Dynamic CPU Frequency Mode: Dynamic Switch
    • Core Multi-Processing: Enabled
    • Intel Turbo Boost Technology: Enabled
    • eSATA: Enabled
    • SATA Interface Performance: Preformance
  • Advanced:
    • Boot Speed: Normal
    • Execute-Disable Bit Capacity: Available
    • Virtualization Technology: VT-x Only
    • USB Legacy Emulation: Enabled
The full specification can be found at http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=UK&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=1090501 (it's a discontinued model now).

It might well be! I usually switch it on whilst it's in the conservatory where it can get very hot, but I've switched it on today and day before where it was in a much cooler room, and it turned itself on fine.

To everyone else's advice, I want to say thank you very much for taking your time to reply to this, and what I'll do is I'll print this thread out (so I can refer to it whilst the laptop's turned off!) and proceed with your instructions later on.

Last edited:

smithee

Reaction score
Hi all,

Okay I haven't replied in such a while, mainly because this problem hasn't appeared again since my last post. I was awaiting for it to do it again then analyse why it has, and then I can post my findings. Also the laptop is now on a flat, cool, stable desk instead off a pair of legs in a hot conservatory... so perhaps that's the reason as to why this issue hasn't arisen again since?

Thank you all for posting, you've been such great help! If the problem starts occurring again, then I will proceed with your actions stated here :)

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that the easiest thing to do if the problem seems to be heat-related, is to make sure that the cooling system (air inlets, fan, heat sink and air outlets) is clean and unobstructed. Something as simple as a lap desk (essentially a small tray with a beanbag on the bottom) can make a huge difference -- and for "out and about" use, you can use a book or a small piece of Masonite (sold at art supply stores in convenient sizes as painting panels) that would fit into a laptop bag without taking up too much space or adding much weight. If you're at a desk and on mains power, you could also use one of those laptop cooling tray dealies with built-in fans -- they move a lot more air through the machine than the built-in cooling system can.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
My old laptop used to always run hot - CPU would get to 70c, then the fans would just stay on if I was using it.

So I got one of those cooling pads that blows air up at the base of the laptop (vs sucking air away) and took the cover off over the memory slots.

Solved! (kinda... Built in fans still came on but then turned off again!)