ATI/AMD Graphics or Nvidia

khopcraft77

Reaction score
They are both pretty even for performance... That is until a game uses phys x. Some AMD cards win, some Nvidia cards win. For gaming, Nvidia, otherwise, just see which card is better.

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Moved to Computers and Technology.

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I've used, and have very bad memories with, Ati video cards. On the other hand, I've used, and have had excellent experience with, nVidia cards. Unfortunately, my current machine has an ATI... I would say grab an nVidia. Runs better, and actually has /full/ OpenGL support for those of us who play old school games (Like me)

khopcraft77

Reaction score
Well, I have an ATI 5770, and it is amazing. It does have full Open GL. I played Crysis 2 on Best settings. ~30 FPS.

Reaction score
Me too.... i got ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470 for my laptop and i got all my gaming needs up to Call of Duty 6 Full graphics but in terms of extended display for multi-monitor view, the vga driver fails to inititalize. I don't know if the card itself has the problem or if i don't have the current and optimal driver.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Me too.... i got ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470 for my laptop and i got all my gaming needs up to Call of Duty 6 Full graphics but in terms of extended display for multi-monitor view, the vga driver fails to inititalize. I don't know if the card itself has the problem or if i don't have the current and optimal driver.

On ATi cards you often have to force the VGA port to activate. This can be done from Catalyst Control Center. I'm not super familiar with CCC, but if you go to the Monitors section of the control panel and you right click your second monitor, you should be able to activate it by clicking Clone or Extended desktop.

steronius

Reaction score
I used to prefer ATI, but no longer.
I prefer NVIDIA due to linux compatibilities.
However, I understand ATI's are faster at integer math for such things as bitcoin mining.

simon.evanz48

Reaction score
Always been satisfied with NVIDIA GFX cards I am due an upgrade though as I now have X2 NVIDIA Winfast 7950 GTX 512MB in SLI which allow me to keep up with today's current gaming although a little hot at times.

I have made an ATI purchase for an ATI 9800 SE way back when for one of my old second Systems its still lying about somewhere...

But to sum up NVIDIA All the way baby,

Saving up for a X3 Hybrid SLI setup once I can afford a new M/B / Chip / RAM / PSU

Post my finding latter on when I get it sorted :)

krofunk

Reaction score
depends on what it is for, ATI gives you a bit more bang for your buck however...gaming is a different kind of story as a lot of games use nVidia technologies when developing.

...I dont know, I switch all the time!

drelix0166

Reaction score
I choose Nvidia, because I Its amazing just the way they are :D

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

I choose Nvidia, because Its amazing just the way they are :D

angkordennis96

Reaction score
Personally, I like ATI in terms of bang for your buck. They also work well for gaming and especially on multiple monitors! Eyefinity is simply amazing. But in terms of Photoshop, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, anything intensive like that, I'd prefer Nvidia simply because of Nvidia Cuda and especially since many programs support Nvidia's Cuda Hardware Acceleration. Basically for me,

ATI= Gaming + Entertainment, Nvidia= Gaming + Workstation

Of course, both are great for gaming.

nastus

Reaction score
Im honestly satisfied with both sets of cards, but its also a toss up between companies and series... For instance with ATI some of the 5000 series is better than the 6000 series, performance wise... but the crossfire capabilities are much higher at like 60%+ increase in performance vs 30-50% (a believe one of the cards went up to 87% increase in performance from crossfire). ATI are perfect for gaming, and affordable for it as well. Nvidia on the other hand has expensive cards, more used for intense rendering and things like that. Also if you interested in bitcoin mining ATI is better for it per GH ;)