How do you bypass log in password (XP)? Bought used desktop purchase "as it is" ...

rolandr

Reaction score
I bought a used desktop for cheap. Office desktops fire sale but purchased "as it is".

Seller doesn't know the password and I don't want to format and re-install OS and applications.

I read that CTRL-ALT-DEL twice during Window Start Up, you log in as 'Administrator' and leave the password text box blank and if there was not an Administrator password then you are in but what if there is?

I read there is some crack software that can do that.

Then I read press F8 try to get in "Safe Mode". In Safe Mode create an account.

Any other suggestions?

Darkmere

Reaction score
Re: How do you bypass log in password (XP)? Bought used desktop purchase "as it is" .

The only way I know is to make a boot capable CD with a Password recovery/editor on it. I have tried all the ways you listed and Microsoft Thwarted those methods, and only work on XP versions that are lower than the patch it was fixed. The funny thing about the CTRL+ALT Delete method was when I tried it you had to hit it three times at the login and it did login as admin the problem was after it fully logged in it asked for the admin password and would let you do anything

henk506673

Reaction score
Re: How do you bypass log in password (XP)? Bought used desktop purchase "as it is" .

there is always my way. wipe and start over. that is unless there was not anything you wanted to keep. you can always do a fresh install but try backtrack first. it has a few usefull cracking tools.

khopcraft77

Reaction score

If there isn't a password on admin, log in as administrator and change the password to the account you want to access.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score

Reformat the PC and reinstall the Operating System, or use the Ultimate Boot CD (Linux-based one will work). The UBCD does include a bootable Registry Editor which can also be used to reset the password. On my disk once the Registry Editor is loaded, all I need to do is tap Option 3, and it'll display a listing of the user accounts and if they have a password or not. From there, I can modify the password, create a password, or delete the password.

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

I would say Smith's suggestion of using a UBCD is your best bet of getting into the computer if there's anything on it you actually want. If you don't care about what's on it, and don't mind paying for an OS or using a free linux-based OS, then just reformat the hard drive and start from scratch.

rolandr

Reaction score

Well, I have no problem installing Linux based OS (I've installed Ubuntu Linux on my two laptops) 'cause most or all the application are FREE but actually this desktop is my girlfriend's.

I'm sure this desktop has MS Office applications that she needs. Problem with her, although she fluent with MS Office applications, just removing some of menu tool bars, she 'lost', it look strange. Then She doesn't want me to train her using Office.org.

I may look into crack software for last case scenario.

lllllllbob61

Reaction score

Did you get it fixed yet? Try this. Method 1: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305#method1
...found by via google.com: search words: windows xp reset password

Windows log in passwords are easy to bypass. Bios PowerOn passwords are not.

Darkmere

Reaction score

Did you get it fixed yet? Try this. Method 1: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305#method1

BIOS PowerOn Passwards are easier to reset than windows passwords. You just pop the case ope locate the BIOS Chip and yank it off the board for 30 seconds and pop it back in and viola no more password. Or you can also locate the onboard battery for the BIOS and pull the battery to it and it does the same thing

rolandr

Reaction score

I haven't tried the Bios method but that did cross my mind.

As for the Microsoft link, yes, I done those step. ... and it's a Dell computer and at the factory, they do leave the administrator password blank. Unfortunately this computer, since to was office / network use, the Administrator applied a password.

So what does the on-board battery for the bios look like? I do see a coin watch like battery. Is this it. I don't want to mess with the bios chip knowing static electricity could fry the chip[?]. (besides, not sure what it looks like).

i0nix84

Reaction score

try downloading hirens 14 and using the offline password editor and removal tool

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

Yes, the BIOS battery is the coin/disk battery.

If you need to do a complete reinstall, it doesn't necessarily need to be overly painful. Unless somebody's been a busy little beaver, you should have license stickers for any OEM-installed software that needs it on the bottom of the machine (on the back if it's a desktop). Those licenses go with the machine, and they'll still apply when you re-install. It would help if you can get the "official" recovery media, of course, since that will contain all of the necessary drivers, but you should be able to make do with the generic drivers if they're not on the install media until you can get updated drivers installed.

For everything else, there's Ninite. Just check off the software you want to install, and they'll supply you with a consolidated installer package that makes the setup a whole lot easier than doing everything bit by bit. They don't include everything, but they do make a nice, neat package of most of the browsers, messaging clients, maintenance utilities, free antivirus/antimalware programs, media players, office software (including an Office trial that can be registered), free image editors and that sort of thing.

Darkmere

Reaction score

Yes, the BIOS battery is the coin/disk battery.

If you need to do a complete reinstall, it doesn't necessarily need to be overly painful. Unless somebody's been a busy little beaver, you should have license stickers for any OEM-installed software that needs it on the bottom of the machine (on the back if it's a desktop). Those licenses go with the machine, and they'll still apply when you re-install. It would help if you can get the "official" recovery media, of course, since that will contain all of the necessary drivers, but you should be able to make do with the generic drivers if they're not on the install media until you can get updated drivers installed.

For everything else, there's Ninite. Just check off the software you want to install, and they'll supply you with a consolidated installer package that makes the setup a whole lot easier than doing everything bit by bit. They don't include everything, but they do make a nice, neat package of most of the browsers, messaging clients, maintenance utilities, free antivirus/antimalware programs, media players, office software (including an Office trial that can be registered), free image editors and that sort of thing.

Not to mention if you contact MSN they will give you a free copy of windows XP if you down load it from their servers if you want them to mail it to you it is like 8$