Which linux distribution is more stable?

rhea938496

Reaction score
Hi x10 members! I'm planning to switch to Linux O.S. and I somehow need advice on which distribution to install. Any help is greatly appreciated.

superspidey1944

Reaction score
On what basis and wat stability means for you
BTW here are best three linux distros:-
1.Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10
2.Fedora
3.Arch

cheezo

Reaction score
using slackware, debain or any rpm base derivative will require the user to be knowledgeable so these linuxes aren't for first timers. Ubuntu is for newbies.

enriqueavila44

Reaction score
I would suggest to use Ubuntu since it has a lot of support and also the stability is pretty good. Also another distros that I would suggest would be Debian Linux and Linux Mint

bluestone9353

Reaction score
Yeah, not only is BSD not Linux, it is also a right b1atch about hardware requirements. I've tried installing it on a couple of machines and it was total shight, couldn't do anything with it.

Ubuntu is one of the most "Windows-like" user-friendly flavors, easy to install, and you can run it from a live CD to see if you like it first. Personally, I prefer plain vanilla Debian.

rolandr

Reaction score
I played with Red Hat and Ubuntu.

I haven't checked out the other Linux distribution but yes, Ubuntu has a very good support forum. My first installation had no hitch. Actually it was a Wubi installation then a migration to an open partition. No problems.

Then I installed on an older Dell. Complete installation from scratch creating the partition (Dual Boot with XP). I did run into minor glitches but the support forum sure walked me through the troubleshooting process.

I suppose other Linux distributors has just as fine as support forum too but just posting my experience with Ubuntu.

palmerx6414

Reaction score
ubuntu is for newbies.

Yes, I would suggest people use Ubuntu or other Debian variants if they are new to Linux...

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, so is Pinguy OS.
Xubuntu is basically Ubuntu with a different desktop environment (uses XFCE not GNOME) and is intended for older systems with low processing power/memory.

Optionally, I think Fedora can good for new Linux users. Fedora variants, however, use YUM package installers.

FYI, most things tend have support for .deb installers (which is a Debian package installer for installing software). YUM has a lot of support too though.

I'd get some Live CDs and try some of them out. (Remember, Linux Live CDs are incredibly slow, Linux isn't slow once you officially install it to your hard drive).

yardimet.az24

Reaction score
Ubuntu is easy to use os system based on linux kernel. Its fast and design is good than other linux based systems that i know. Its very good system if u are developer.

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

and Ubuntu developing in lauchpad, i think Ubuntu supports all languages of the world, and if u have some bugs, u can report to lauchpad, and other ubuntu users will work on solving your problem