Holding both ears so head won't spin (tough to type with tongue)

godux1096

Reaction score
Brand new to web hosting etc. I have used vbulletin on two other forums so it's nice to see it here

I'm working on setting up a genealogy web site and forum that's a whole lot more than just that so I'll be looking for help from time to time.

at 63, with no teenage daughters at home any more, this looks like an interesting task

As I figure out which way is up, I'll be glad to point it out to others in the future.

Exploring and getting to know some of you sounds like the next step ... simple things like figuring out how to set up my web page probably should be included, eh?

your_death_1994

Reaction score
Hey, welcome to x10hosting. Its nice to see people your age taking interest into this kind of stuff. :)

If you ever need help there is a "Programming Help" forum and a "Free Hosting" forum. Also if you ever wanna talk to someone I'm right here :)

godux1096

Reaction score
Also if you ever wanna talk to someone I'm right here :)

I'll stay out of your pocket for the most part but I came up with my first problem and, if you can't help, maybe someone else will read this and step in ...

I'd post for a support ticket but I'm not quite ready to expose myself as a complete dummy yet ... That'll undoubtably come soon. For the same reason, I'll put it here where part of world can see rather than PM you. The answer might just help out some other senior citizen as well.

I'm trying to put FUDforum (maybe the first sign of my lostness) on my web site and can probably do it sooner or later.

It says I need MySQL, PHP, and Apache. I get the idea I have the first two, but can't to figure out whether or not Apache is here. Assuming It's not wearing feathers and hiding behind a rock ... is it?

I tried softalisious (or what ever the proper spelling is) from the control panel. I was on that yesterday but when I click on it now I get an error message saying that the administrator needs to install some sort of SQLcube thingy (Still lost with that lingo too)

Now, they (FUDforum) recommend down loading XAMPP which evidently will bring the old Apache right home. I can do that but with my dial up account that is a four hour download (Yep, I do live in the middle of the woods) which I'd rather not endure unless I have to.

Can you help or point me (fairly specifically) to where I can get help without laoghter?

ash242450

Reaction score
I'll stay out of your pocket for the most part but I came up with my first problem and, if you can't help, maybe someone else will read this and step in ...

I'd post for a support ticket but I'm not quite ready to expose myself as a complete dummy yet ... That'll undoubtably come soon. For the same reason, I'll put it here where part of world can see rather than PM you. The answer might just help out some other senior citizen as well.

I'm trying to put FUDforum (maybe the first sign of my lostness) on my web site and can probably do it sooner or later.

It says I need MySQL, PHP, and Apache. I get the idea I have the first two, but can't to figure out whether or not Apache is here. Assuming It's not wearing feathers and hiding behind a rock ... is it?

I tried softalisious (or what ever the proper spelling is) from the control panel. I was on that yesterday but when I click on it now I get an error message saying that the administrator needs to install some sort of SQLcube thingy (Still lost with that lingo too)

Now, they (FUDforum) recommend down loading XAMPP which evidently will bring the old Apache right home. I can do that but with my dial up account that is a four hour download (Yep, I do live in the middle of the woods) which I'd rather not endure unless I have to.

Can you help or point me (fairly specifically) to where I can get help without laoghter?

Do you want FUDForum more than other forums for a particular reason or did you just come accross it and decide to use it?

If you don't want it more than any other particular one, you might consider trying PHPBB. It's easy to set up (It's got a load of features though so it takes lots of trial and error to try to figure out how to do administration tasks), and I've been using it a few times across various hosts so I could help you out if you need any help.

But yeah; I've used a few forum softwares (Not FUDForum personally) and out of them all I'd advise PHPBB.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes, x10Hosting has Apache, MySQL 5, and PHP 5.3.6. :)

theone48

Reaction score
As Dead-i has proven, we have many forum services available. :)

godux1096

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input ...

picked FUD after compsring features of a number of comparisons ... had orginally though I'd go with myBBS but like what I saw with this one a little better. Actually I been on two other forums with what they use here and would probably go that way if I could affiord it...

I'm trying to put this one I'm working on up to start with for free but will most likely go premium before long.

I still have little idea what I am doing but strted stumbling around find my way through things with Basic and basica programming. Hit a wall and find a way over or around. I'd went to windows from DOS kicking and screaming .. still don't use a cell phone except one in the car for emergencies.

theone48

Reaction score
godux,

yes, learning new stuff can be a pain at times, but it's been a thrilling experience here so far for me. The best of luck!