Petition against the High Resource Usage system

cptzoap84

Reaction score
Hello,

As many clients tried hosting here at x10Hosting, most of you have been affected by the new HRU system. What i'm talking about?

If it's possible, i will share my story here with x10Hosting.

After account creation, the first step i did was to check out the cPanel. Softaculous and 1H Software looked great until i installed MyBB from Softaculous. It's 3 days for now. Having clear, freshly installed MyBB, my forum is being affected by the new High Resource Usage system. No visitors, no modifications, nothing. Every 40 minutes my forum is getting that. Everything has been fine until now. Please do something with that new system because it's even worse than 20 MB Disk space and 100 MB Bandwidth!! I mean increase the values of maximum resource usage, so we can keep our websites working normally. I lost so many visitors because of that, i'll move out from there if it won't be fixed until sunday. I officialy like x10Hosting, cPanel, design everything awesome... Share your opinions to do something with the new system!

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I will test this later today, however two things. First, threatening to leave a free service does not garner you any support from the staff or volunteers. Second, there have been about ~250 people affected by the system total so far, which is something like .001% of active users. It is to be expected people are going to hit the limit, it is a free hosting service and there is only so much we can offer for free. We have to draw the line some where. The following image shows your usage(red) compared to everyone else on your server averaged(blue).
cptavg.png

Also, you first said it is a freshly installed forum with no visitors, you then said you lost so many visitors. You also said no modifications... looking at your forum I can almost guarantee you the problem is the shout box. Almost every shout box I've ever seen is poorly coded and comes with high resource consumption as it is constantly querying the database for updates in a never ending loop. If anyone leaves your page open they are non stop using your resources while your shoutbox is updated even though they may not even be active on your site.

While we'll be happy to look into any errors and we want people to have a positive experience we have to offer a realistic limit to what each user can have and you're using above your fair share of the resources. Finally, disk space and bandwdith does not equal resource usage in how we measure it. The only thing we care about is how much CPU you use as that is a very limited item compared to the rest of the resources on the systems.

cptzoap84

Reaction score
Umm sorry for my poor english. I started my forum 3 days ago, there was nothing installed, configured in that forum. Today it's very different because i moved my database here. I just disabled shoutbox you talking about, If the problem is fixed then respect for You

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

I have disabled that 2 hours ago, and that didn't fixed my problem

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Do you have any cron jobs running, or anything that constantly connects to your site? :)

Sorry, I'm not an admin like Corey so I can't help much...

cptzoap84

Reaction score
I disabled most of my plugins and the problem still exists... I'm not sure i can do something with that... I temporary moved my forum out of x10Hosting to my old hosting with the greatest uptime and they don't suspend for that amount of server usage... I'll be happy to back when you do something with it.

No cron jobs running

Last edited:

theone48

Reaction score
sorry for your problem cptzoap84, but likely the problem may be be caused by something that's so obvious, it's taken for granted. If you've checked all the likely possibilities, maybe you should check the unlikely ones. plus, even if you disable a plugin, I don't think you'd know if the problem is solved until the hour passes, because as I've heard, the clock resets every hour. To isolate problem, you would have to wait 1 hour per plugin and check back.

Last edited:

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Settings such as Configuring Email with other applications can also cause a couple of problems I guess.
Also, queries that are constantly being run (like Shoutboxes) can cause high server resource usage.

cptzoap84

Reaction score
I have disabled shoutbox yesterday and almost plugins. in MyBB settings all e-mail was disabled. Sorry but there is nothing i can do from my point. Even having clear public_html and installing MyBB through softaculous gives resource limit hit.

theone48

Reaction score
hmmm, then I'd say there's definitely a mystery here worth figuring out.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
I wonder if MyBB is causing a resource hog. I personally use phpBB, and don't use MyBB.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
As I understand, any plug-in could be a culprit.

and anything else that uses the server CPU/RAM

while the new cPanel [ 1H Software ] box - still has issues
it is a good start as a tool to help account holders control their HRU

theone48

Reaction score
There should be a progrm out there that can assist webbuilders in figuring this stuff out. I know they have link checking programs that find out any broken links, there should be a resource detecting program around somewhere too.

patorough25

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem. I host a survey on the limesurvey platform and between yesterday and today, nobody can access the survey. I can't even go to the backend admin for the survey, as each time I try to load the limesurvey pages, I get the following error:

Can't connect to LimeSurvey database. Reason: Can't create a new thread (errno 12); if you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug

Thank you,
Peter

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
I am having a similar problem. I host a survey on the limesurvey platform and between yesterday and today, nobody can access the survey. I can't even go to the backend admin for the survey, as each time I try to load the limesurvey pages, I get the following error:

Can't connect to LimeSurvey database. Reason: Can't create a new thread (errno 12); if you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug

I think you have a
out of available memory
error

and not a
High Resource Usage System
lockout - which is the subject of this thread

theone48

Reaction score
yeah bdistler, the error does talk of memory. That's most likely the culprit patorough25.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
For the Out of Memory issue, you should create a Support Ticket.

nullcity.dev91

Reaction score
Okay lets not fight the admin, we do hog a bunch of resource with the line graph Corey just showed.
High Resource Usage rule will not be removed, nothing can, nothing will, just give up the dream now.

Please dont ban me for what I said above, I didnt try to offend people. :p

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Please dont ban me for what I said above, I didnt try to offend people. :p

That's not likely to happen.

The problem here is that people don't realise what sort of environment they're running in. They'll complain that "I'm only doing X" (where X sounds perfectly reasonable to them), but fail to see the cumulative effect that can have if even a significant minority of users do the same thing. It's called the Tragedy of the commons.

The current per-account limit is 300 CPU∙seconds per hour. That's five full minutes of core time. If everyone used all of that entitlement, each processor core on a server would support only 12 users; a 64-core machine (16 quad-core processors) would support something less than 768 accounts (remember that the server itself needs some of its own resources -- 768 accounts would ignore things like, oh, running the operating system, doing backups, etc.). Keep in mind, too, that RAM is a limited resource -- 768 accounts at 128MB of RAM represents 96GB of RAM.

Luckily, most accounts use nowhere near their entitlement -- but it doesn't take too many accounts running over their limit to use up all of the available resources. 384 users running on the system I've described at double their limit uses everything, as does 192 running at four times the limit. Of course, you could just limit the number of accounts on a server to, say, 320 and give everybody a lot of breathing space -- but have you priced a 64-core server with 96GB of RAM lately? And did you remember to include the electricity, air conditioning, storage, backup, admin, UPS, generators, and so on that will make the server work? How likely do you think it is that such a service could be offered gratis (assuming there are no benevolent billionaires in sight)?

Yes, there are multiple redundant physical machines running behind a load balancer in the "real" version of an x10Hosting Free Hosting server, but there are also thousands of accounts on each of the servers to make free accounts viable at all. If even a small percentage run over the rather generous limits*, they'd wipe out the available resources in no time.

* I ran more than a hundred customer-facing and internal corporate web applications supporting thousands of users on a dual-processor Pentium III/800MHz server with 512MB of very expensive ECC RAM less than ten years ago. Don't try to tell me your single low-traffic application can't be written to run within the limits provided here. You're getting a 3GHz processor on an 8.3% duty cycle, or the equivalent of a 1GHz processor on a 25% duty cycle -- that can serve a heck of a lot of requests. And if it's a high-traffic app, why are you running on a free hosting plan with no SLA?

metallicpri2sh64

Reaction score
i recently decided to move my site here , i was trying to restore backups from myrepono.com and after some minutes my site came under "Hight Resource system" ..
this was really disappointing