Little questions about the servers

Someguy2

Reaction score
I am very curious about the server's (Free and Paid) and I wonder what are their specs. I want to know from hardware and networking to software. But since all the server's are hosted in SingleHop, I think I just got some guess.

Free:

- Intel Xeon E5620 (2x)
- 24GB Ram
- 8TB HDD
- 1 Gbps/30TB Bandwidth

Paid:

- Intel Xeon E5645 (2x)
- 24GB Ram
- 8TB HDD
- 1 Gbps /30TB Bandwidth

Please correct my guess if I'm wrong.

(Also how many sites do you cram in a single server?)

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You're thinking about single boxes. Don't. While you might buy or rent a single box in a datacenter for a small site, it's not the sort of thing you'd do to provide a hosting service (or even, really, for a business that needs uptime approaching 100% for a customer-facing application).

The servers here (on Free Hosting) aren't single machines, they're an entire topology. Your server name points to a cluster of physical servers fronted by a load balancer (which provides both load balancing and some degree of redundancy). The local hard drive on each physical server box in the cluster doesn't contain a whole lot more than the OS-related files and a skeleton directory of accounts; most of the user data is held in a SAN (whose provisioning is increased as necessary) and accessed as virtual local. The database server is also a separate machine which is virtually local.

That said, there are a lot of accounts on each of the named servers in Free Hosting, particularly on Lotus (which is continually pushing the boundaries of what's possible). Even with the processor and memory limits in place, and the nearly-no-hits nature of most of the Free Hosting sites, it would be impossible to run all of the accounts on the same physical box, even if bleeding-edge hardware were being used.

Someguy2

Reaction score
You're thinking about single boxes. Don't. While you might buy or rent a single box in a datacenter for a small site, it's not the sort of thing you'd do to provide a hosting service (or even, really, for a business that needs uptime approaching 100% for a customer-facing application).

The servers here (on Free Hosting) aren't single machines, they're an entire topology. Your server name points to a cluster of physical servers fronted by a load balancer (which provides both load balancing and some degree of redundancy). The local hard drive on each physical server box in the cluster doesn't contain a whole lot more than the OS-related files and a skeleton directory of accounts; most of the user data is held in a SAN (whose provisioning is increased as necessary) and accessed as virtual local. The database server is also a separate machine which is virtually local.

That said, there are a lot of accounts on each of the named servers in Free Hosting, particularly on Lotus (which is continually pushing the boundaries of what's possible). Even with the processor and memory limits in place, and the nearly-no-hits nature of most of the Free Hosting sites, it would be impossible to run all of the accounts on the same physical box, even if bleeding-edge hardware were being used.

Are you saying that I will start a hosting company, NO!. I don't have the budget to even start with a reseller account. Also thanks for the info, I always wonder how x10hosting does it daily hosting life.

EDIT:

About the servers, since they are connected as one, it kinda reminded me of GoDaddy 4GH (not advertising), but for me it's just a gimmick because they are slow and hosted on a single server. Also, each servers are on 1 Gbps w/ 30 TB Bandwidth limit?

Last edited: