Router Brands

lemonx10

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a wireless router so I can bridge my connection on the third floor of my house of my computer running Ubuntu to my basement where my XBox is so I can play on XBox LIVE. I have used an ethernet cord (Yes, it was that long) but ethernet running through the house isn't pretty. I have decided to buy an 802.11n Dualband wireless router after receiving counsel from an online document. I also might use this for a 3ds handheld system. But to my question, which brand of router (and model if you know) would work best for me. Cost is not an issue if it is under $150 dollars. I already have a wireless adapter for the XBox. Thank you for any help.

dturton40

Reaction score
I gotta say first of all I would much prefer wires and do run unsightly wires myself, thats a small negative for the performance I gain over wireless but I suppose it depends on what you do really.
Router wise I used to use Netgear but it seemed to be struggling, I had about 3 wired and 11 wireless devices hanging off it. I then went for a Linksys router and have never looked back since, maybe have to reboot it twice a year and great performance.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
I use a really crappy Cisco 3700 alongside a Catalyst 1950 switch because it was dirt cheap. I'd probably get a Juniper in the future though, those things are nice.

That said... you normally never use any of that for a home network, I'm just a nerd.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If I had a choice with a consumer router? Most likely I'd choose a Meru, ASUS or D-Link and pop third party firmware on them. Nothing wrong with the other brands out there though. The units do their jobs.

I run my network off of a computer. It's a system with a Dual Core Intel Atom CPU, 2GB of RAM, 16GB Solid State Disk from Intel running Fedora Linux in a stripped down configuration, and it runs headless with some custom software driving the whole thing. I currently have four NICs installed in the system, each Gigabit which goes to a rack of switches, three 24-port Gigabit switches from Cisco, Managed, with PoE support which supply at least two Ethernet ports per room in my house. My Wireless is driven by two access points, both of which are connected to only Ethernet and pull power from the switches. The Access Points are both Wireless N and do simultaneous dual band, however I only run the Access Point upstairs on the 2.4Ghz band on a 20Mhz width. Both run 5Ghz at 40Mhz on separate channels.

This is all running as far as Internet goes, on a single DSL connection. It's supposed to be upgraded to Fiber soon, where 300Mbps/150Mbps won't be out of the ballpark for speed.

Last edited: