Email not working again

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanThaDude

Reaction score
It seems email isn't working again on Boru. I've been using my GMail through SMTP on my phpBB board the past week or so without issue. Now it cannot connect:
Could not connect to smtp host : 110 : Connection timed out

Errno 2: fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to tls://smtp.gmail.com:465 (Connection timed out) at [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php line 1001
Setting phpBB to use the standard php mail and using a valid x10hosting email address created in CPanel also fails with an empty error in my phpBB logs.

I'm also unable to send mail through the webmail system or through Outlook. I tried using both SSL and no encryption and still fails with error.

I have created a ticket regarding this but I'm afraid it will get closed without any resolution like the other ones I've opened in the past.

According to my logs in phpBB the first error appeared back in June 22 3:02pm EDT.

erepauct

Reaction score
Same here...

trying to send to a gmail address from squirrel mail

Message not sent. Server replied:
Connection refused
111 Can't open SMTP stream.

I also cannot receive emails from gmail

I created a ticket.

RyanThaDude

Reaction score
According to the status page and the response from my ticket this was suppose to be fixed. It has not been fixed for me! My log is still being littered with these error messages:
E-mail error
» EMAIL/SMTP
/forum/memberlist.php

Could not connect to smtp host : 110 : Connection timed out

Errno 2: fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to tls://smtp.gmail.com:465 (Connection timed out) at [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php line 1001

RyanThaDude

Reaction score
Looks like I'm having issues again with SMTP.
E-mail error
» EMAIL/SMTP
/forum/ucp.php

Ran into problems sending e-mail at Line 1405. Response: 535 Incorrect authentication data
Backtrace
Connecting to tls://smtp.gmail.com:465
LINE: 1018 <- 220-boru.x10hosting.com ESMTP Exim 4.77 #2 Tue, 03 Jul 2012 01:13:17 -0400
LINE: 1018 <- 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
LINE: 1018 <- 220 and/or bulk e-mail.

# EHLO boru.x10hosting.com
LINE: 1290 <- 250-boru.x10hosting.com Hello boru.x10hosting.com [69.175.121.66]
LINE: 1290 <- 250-SIZE 52428800
LINE: 1290 <- 250-PIPELINING
LINE: 1290 <- 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
LINE: 1290 <- 250 HELP

# AUTH PLAIN
LINE: 1398 <- 334

# Omitting sensitive information
LINE: 1405 <- 535 Incorrect authentication data

Also I'm never getting my emails from this board. I just tried signing up with a new account to see if I would receive the email on my x10hosting email and I still never received any activation email. I'm trying to fix it where I can reply to all topics that I'm allowed to and I never receive any of the emails. Currently this is the only forum I'm allowed to post in and I can only start a new topic, not reply except my own topic. Every time I ask to resolve this issue it goes ignored or someone else (non-admin/staff) has some lame excuse when they have clearly don't know what they're talking about.

Thank you.

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello,

Can you open a support ticket through your account portal regarding the smtp issue please? We'll need to ask for some information that shouldn't probably be publically revealed in a forum thread.

I'll let administration know the forums emails aren't working properly, and will check up on your account's access.

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello,

The lack of forum access was due to you not responding to the email activation. However, as emails are not working, I've activated the forum account for you.

RyanThaDude

Reaction score
I just tested and now it seems to be working again. Might have been a glitch or something. I did create a ticket #19429.

Last edited:

wzsauron

Reaction score
There is strange things during sending mail from php through SMTP. My script connects to port 25 of mail.wallst.ru, but receives following greeting from mail server:

stoli.x10hosting.com ESMTP Exim 4.77 #2 Thu, 05 Jul 2012 15:00:49 -0400

We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
and/or bulk e-mail.

But two days ago my script sent email well using this mail server.

RyanThaDude

Reaction score
While SMTP using my Google account was working it seems it stopped working again. My logs are full of "535 Incorrect authentication data" errors. I have turned off SMTP so that phpBB would use the PHP mail function instead and some mail gets delivered, and some doesn't. No errors are being logged.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Sunday 8th of July 2012 09:42:37 AM SMTP Error: Could not authenticate. Mailer Error: SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

Verified on Chopin.

SierraAR

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello,

What is your ticket's ID number?

b.kehlmeier55

Reaction score
I have the same issue; ticket # 19797

I don't see how I can do anything to prevent blacklisting or get the Stoli server accepted by Google's SMTP server. I am using phpMailer to send very small amounts of email; below are the messages I receive. I have confirmed the login information is correct and works with Thunderbird.

I can send email via another client and my code has not changed, so I assume the issue is between Stoli and Gmail.

HTML:
SMTP -> FROM SERVER:220-stoli.x10hosting.com ESMTP Exim 4.77 #2 Wed, 11 Jul 2012 15:44:12 -0400 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited, 220 and/or bulk e-mail. 
SMTP -> FROM SERVER: 250-stoli.x10hosting.com Hello stoli.x10hosting.com [69.175.122.178] 250-SIZE 52428800 250-PIPELINING 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN 250-STARTTLS 250 HELP 
SMTP -> FROM SERVER:220 TLS go ahead 
SMTP -> FROM SERVER: 250-stoli.x10hosting.com Hello stoli.x10hosting.com [69.175.122.178] 250-SIZE 52428800 250-PIPELINING 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN 250 HELP 
SMTP -> ERROR: Password not accepted from server: 535 Incorrect authentication data 
SMTP -> FROM SERVER:250 Reset OK 
SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

Last edited:

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's working for you again. If you have any issues in future however, I suggest opening a support ticket. That is where most staff look who can do something about it effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.