Acer M5711 desktop upgrade

jensen

Reaction score
Hi guys,

anyone knows if we can upgrade the Acer M5711 with a 320GB HDD with an Intel Series 520 SSD with 120GB?

HDD - Hardisk Drive
SSD - Solid State Drive

mraz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

anyone knows if we can upgrade the Acer M5711 with a 320GB HDD with an Intel Series 520 SSD with 120GB?

HDD - Hardisk Drive
SSD - Solid State Drive

Are u intending to upgrade as in replace your HDD or using a vacant SATA slot?
Does your motherboard have SATA II or SATA III?

I believe Intel Series 520 SSD uses SATA III, so if you motherboard don't support that - you should get something lower like the Series 320 instead.

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
SATA is backwards and forwards compatible so I really would not worry about compatibility.
You won't get the full performance out of it if you hook a SATA3 SSD into a SATA2 motherboard but usually the operating system with be the bottleneck with both SATA2 and SATA3.

Otherwise they should work. Only issue I see is if the original hard drive has a recovery partition, if you remove the old harddrive then you will need a Recovery CD or a windows install CD if you with to re install onto the new harddrive(I am unsure of Acer but allot of newer computers only come with the recovery partition and no CD).
You can do some more fancy things like use a linux live CD to copy the partition from the old harddrive to the new one but personal experience tells me this is not 100% and windows does not like it(I moved from and old 80GB to a 500GB drive but had allot of issues with windows, then did a fresh install when I got my 1TB drive)