Co.cc

djalam

Reaction score
Don't know where else to put this so I hope I'm posting to the right place. Well co.cc seems to be not working anymore, even the main website is down since yesterday. Its been going on and off (Mainly Offline). And recently their main page had a message saying they are not accepting any new domain registration. So on the off chance that they may never come back, to those of you who use .co.cc domain what do you plan on doing. What other services are you looking for?

phoenix2010

Reaction score
Ive binned my .co.cc acount and found another free service that allows registering a free domain name .tk if you want to search it friend i created a new domain then created a new add on domain point the new registered name via the name servers and hey presto all working again http://leigh-hyde.tk/LRH

marvso

Reaction score
If co.cc doesn't return soon, I'll probably upgrade to a "proper" domain from Namecheap. I'm really, really hoping they'll be back online soon, though; it's strange they just up and went like that. I mean, I know you get what you pay for and all... I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to x10hosting! D:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Oh dear... Looks like .co.cc's dead doesn't it!! :(

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
co.cc allowed itself to become overrun with spam sites. Google blacklisting them was the beginning of the end.

I moved my "free domain names" to dot.tk a while ago. They seem intent on keeping their "brand" clean.

"real" domain names cost ~$10/yr when you want to get serious.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Did you pay for the 'upgrade' at .tk?

djalam

Reaction score
I'm hoping co.cc returns soon, since moving to a new domain will be a little hassle. So waiting it out at this point to see. Plus co.cc was blocked google as descalzo mentioned, but after a while google re-enlisted some domains on their search. With dot.tk I herd they take over your domain if you don't recieve a certain quota of visitors in a time frame / OR you got an exceeding level of visitors in a certain time frame (like over a 100 visitors in a day spike). Not too sure if that's true or not.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
@Sharky : no
@djalam : no more required minimums on visitors. Never heard of a cap on visitors.

shifattk

Reaction score

Well, I have a domain from dot.tk, and it still says there is a minimum number of visits you have to get in order to keep your domain alive. However, it looks like they stopped it. I only got 5 visits this this month. I guess the limit is removed.

Also, dot.tk looks like they're getting popular, so I don't know if they will stay free forever, maybe, maybe not.
They stated in their press release that number of active .TK domain name registrations is larger than these of Russia
(.ru) and China (.cn) combined. !!!

Here's the link to the press release:
http://www.dot.tk/en/dottk_pressrelease_12272011_en.pdf

Oh, and for co.cc, I'm guessing they were planning to shut down anyways. But the sad thing is, they did not give the users any notice.
Another possibility could be that one of their domain is under investigation for some illegal act, since most of their users were using their service for spamming purposes. (PS: All the domains registered with co.cc are not domains like www.google.com, they are subdomains of co.cc)

Another useful link:
http://www.thelacunablog.com/co.cc-down-closes-co.cc-shut-down.html

Last edited:

mymex10m

Reaction score
i am in no way affiliated with this but this company is have a $3 .com and .net sale. Unlike godaddy sales where it's only for the first year. this company lets can buy multiple years for the $3 sale price.
http://www.crazydomains.com

I just bought a .com domain from them for 4 years for just $12 :p It's not instant like other registrars. they need to verify your order before your domain is confirmed and it takes a few days. That's the only downside.

they also had a free .asia domains promo running a few weeks ago. the free .asia domain promo ran for like 2 months. too bad it ended right before co.cc died. Anyway good luck guys

Last edited: