Supported languages ​​and restricted content

Status
Not open for further replies.

binhorbsoft98

Reaction score
I need to make on my website a page that will be of interest only to a limited audience. Page content will be to study (questions and answers). Subjects: brazilian portuguese grammar, laws, electronics and logic. All content will be in database. The people who will access the content will need the login and password. In this case, I need to provide a translation into one of the supported languages​​?

Yes, it is the second time I ask this question. But why went unanswered in first time?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Could be because the terms of service are pretty clear on the matter: the site needs to have a complete human translation of all of the content into one of the supported languages (English, French or Spanish), and that translation needs to be accessible in an obvious way. x10Hosting is legally on the hook for the content it hosts (within the reasonable bounds of "safe harbor"), so that content needs to be reviewable for compliance. There is an expense involved in obtaining a translation of unsupported languages (which is another way of saying that if there's nobody on staff who can read it, they have to hire somebody), and that's just not practical at all at all when you're not paying for the hosting service. And no, it doesn't matter that it's hidden behind a login, it still needs to be translated.

binhorbsoft98

Reaction score
Thank you so much! And sorry I has repeated the question, but I needed to confirm.

I will faithfully follow the rules. It will be done:

- Static content of page (title, labels fields in forms etc) will have human translation accessible in an obvious way.
- Dynamic content (everything that users will post) will be in the database.
- Everything that is placed in the database is encrypted immediately (that's how I always do).
- How the dynamic content also will have human translation, will not be immediate, because it may be done only after the user post.
- To post or have access to what is posted, the users will need password.
- Who does not have a password only will see the login and password fields.

I take this opportunity to ask:

1 - The delay for human translation of the dynamic content is acceptable? If not, there is no obvious way to make an interactive website.
2 - I need to provide a login and password so that x10Hosting can review the contents of the database? I think not, since an encrypted content accessible only by password does not affect the general public, and from what you say, this is the biggest concern ("x10Hosting is legally on the hook for the content it hosts, so that content needs to be reviewable for compliance.").

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
1) A delay is acceptable, as long as it's reasonable. We realise that you can't do a live translation of user-submitted content, for instance, and that even your own content can take a little while when there are some idioms used that are difficult to translate directly. 24 hours is the guideline, but if you don't let anything pile up for too long, it shouldn't be a problem.

2) No, you don't have to provide a login unless you're asked to by x10Hosting staff. It's not really necessary, since people with sufficient access to the servers (access much higher than your own) don't really need a password for your account. And it doesn't matter how "private" your site is if it's doing anything illegal -- you can hide a lot of things behind a "private bird-watchers' club", for instance, but the landlord who rents you the rooms still has to report any goings-on that don't seem like they have much to do with bird-watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.