GMP extension (GNU Multiple Precision)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll point the man in charge to this thread, in general though there would need to be a general interest among the userbase to have any additional extensions installed, and of course it has to work well together with what already is installed, so there's no guarantee it would be installed.

binhorbsoft98

Reaction score
I understand. What I argue is that the use of GMP in place BC math would save a lot of processing on x10Hosting servers. In My PC (a Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz with 8GB RAM running Ubuntu 12.04LTS 64bits), That page that I pointed out finished in 86 seconds without GMP (using BC Math) and in 1.5 seconds with GMP. Therefore, I'm rooting for it to be installed.

:rolleyes:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You may find that that library trades time complexity for space complexity in a way that isn't useful here. It's nice that it goes lickety-split; it's not so nice if all of the go-fast comes at the expense of concurrency. You can't test a massively multiuser environment on a multicore, well-provisioned local desktop.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
I seriously doubt if there is anyone else besides you that would be interested in that extension. Not a big demand for manipulating arbitrary-length integers in WordPress or phpBB.

binhorbsoft98

Reaction score
Essellar, I don't know if I understand what you mean. It seems that you are concerned about a possible higher usage of memory. But it also seems that you consider that faster codes will result in expense of concurrency, but it seems to be the opposite: it is not correct to think that faster codes may benefit the multitasking? Also, I don't think GMP have an increased memory consumption.

I know that I can not simulate a multitasking environment on a home PC, but the time difference is obvious. Anyway, I just wanted to help, both me and the x10.

Descalzo, I agree that there is little interest in libraries for for manipulating arbitrary-length integers. The goal is to make an application that use cryptography based on elliptic curves. The code I wanted to use suggests installing the GMP because it is much faster than the BC Math. Guess I'll have to use Diffie Hellman.

Thank all for your attention!

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Do you honestly think that that kind of speed boost comes from unrolling loops and similar O(1) optimizations? If time complexity is coming down, space complexity is going up.

binhorbsoft98

Reaction score
Probably yes, but not necessarily in the same proportion. I Will not assert in relation to GMP and BC Math, because I don't know the internal code. But there is always the possibility of optimizing code. So I do not think it's possible. I'm sure.

Thank!

:)

binhorbsoft98

Reaction score
I asked if you could install the extension, but you gave your reason for not installing. It was just a request. I think the case is closed. We need not discuss indefinitely.

:) A big hug!

hbazer

Reaction score
I think the case is closed. We need not discuss indefinitely.

As the OP of this thread you can 'close' it

At the top of this thread is a 'pull down' - [ Administrative ] click on it - select [ Close Thread ] with a dot - then click on [ Proceed ]

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
For clarification, the reason for not installing this is actually because the GMP extension is not one of the supported PHP extensions by cPanel, meaning that it would take extra work to enable it and could result in future incompatibilities and issues down the road when maintaining or upgrading the servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.