Scribunto Wiki error

Status
Not open for further replies.

lysharia

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm pretty sure this is a server-level error. I wonder if I can do something about that? The errors are as follows:

Warning</b>: proc_open() has been disabled for security reasons in <b>/home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/extensions/Scribunto/engines/LuaStandalone/LuaStandaloneEngine.php</b> on line <b>134

and...

Lua error: Cannot create process.

Backtrace:

#0 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/extensions/Scribunto/engines/LuaStandalone/LuaStandaloneEngine.php(136): ScribuntoEngineBase->newException('scribunto-luast...')
#1 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/extensions/Scribunto/engines/LuaStandalone/LuaStandaloneEngine.php(60): Scribunto_LuaStandaloneInterpreter->__construct(Object(Scribunto_LuaStandaloneEngine), Array)
#2 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/extensions/Scribunto/engines/LuaCommon/LuaCommon.php(70): Scribunto_LuaStandaloneEngine->newInterpreter()
#3 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/extensions/Scribunto/engines/LuaStandalone/LuaStandaloneEngine.php(8): Scribunto_LuaEngine->load()
#4 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/extensions/Scribunto/engines/LuaStandalone/LuaStandaloneEngine.php(26): Scribunto_LuaStandaloneEngine->load()
#5 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/extensions/Scribunto/common/Hooks.php(173): Scribunto_LuaStandaloneEngine->getLimitReport()
#6 [internal function]: ScribuntoHooks::reportLimits(Object(Parser), 'NewPP limit rep...')
#7 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/includes/Hooks.php(255): call_user_func_array('ScribuntoHooks:...', Array)
#8 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/includes/GlobalFunctions.php(3883): Hooks::run('ParserLimitRepo...', Array)
#9 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/includes/parser/Parser.php(503): wfRunHooks('ParserLimitRepo...', Array)
#10 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/includes/content/WikitextContent.php(299): Parser->parse('{{Infobox?|titl...', Object(Title), Object(ParserOptions), true, true, 340)
#11 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/includes/WikiPage.php(3402): WikitextContent->getParserOutput(Object(Title), 340, Object(ParserOptions))
#12 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/includes/PoolCounter.php(209): PoolWorkArticleView->doWork()
#13 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/includes/Article.php(707): PoolCounterWork->execute()
#14 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/includes/actions/ViewAction.php(44): Article->view()
#15 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/includes/Wiki.php(439): ViewAction->show()
#16 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/includes/Wiki.php(305): MediaWiki->performAction(Object(Article), Object(Title))
#17 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/includes/Wiki.php(565): MediaWiki->performRequest()
#18 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/includes/Wiki.php(458): MediaWiki->main()
#19 /home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/index.php(59): MediaWiki->run()
#20 {main}

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
At a guess the entire bottom error is due to the inital one you posted:
Code:
Warning</b>: proc_open() has been disabled for security reasons in <b>/home/example/public_html/example.com/wiki/extensions/Scribunto/engines/LuaStandalone/LuaStandaloneEngine.php</b> on line <b>134

As the error indicates, on line 134 in LuaStandaloneEngine.php there is a call made to proc_open(), which is a function we have disabled for security reasons. With this having been intentionally disabled, the entire plugin looks to be failing as it requires this function. The only way to fix this would be to rewrite the function to not require proc_open, or to remove it.

lysharia

Reaction score
I suspected as much. Question: Does proc_open work on paid hosting?

I'm not an expert on php issues and the like, but I knew that it was disabled to prevent hacks and the like. More than likely, I'd have to either move to 1. paid hosting on x10, or 2. to a VPS, or 3. even a full-on dedicated server in order to have full control over the site's setup.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Checked with an admin and the php.ini for premium; it should work there as it's not a blocked function, so it should work on any of the three options. Of those, #1 is probably the easiest since it's basically identical to free as far as how it works, other than being less restrictive, and less abuse since it's on its own server only for premium members.

You -could- go with option 2 or 3, but those sound like they'd be a bit overkill to start, especially 3 - a dedicated server would be nice, but if you're only running a wiki, even if it's moderately sized, it should still run on premium or a VPS without too much fiddling.

lysharia

Reaction score
If I were to go for a dedicated server... it's not going to serve just the forum and wiki. ;)

In all seriousness, though... I'd probably just request an upgrade. For now... that means waiting for just a little over a week in order to qualify for an upgrade. However... do you guys offer a trial of paid hosting? Of course, I'd imagine this would not exactly be permissible... but then again... $3.95 is cheap. I'd pay for a full year's worth of hosting, but at the moment, I won't have funds for that, at least until Friday or so.

Also, as far as overkill goes... I LIKE overkill. :p That, and if I run a dedicated server like I plan to, I can separate the functions of such a server out into a virtualization platform.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
To avoid confusion, the $3.95 is what the monthly cost breaks down to if you buy and pre-pay for 3 years. You can do shorter terms of course, but those does cost more broken down to the monthly cost.

You can read more about the payment plans at: http://x10premium.com/plans

The longer you buy an pre-pay for, the better deal you get. If you chose to pay monthly it would for instance be $6.95 /mo.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Scribunto comes with bundled Lua binaries for Linux, Mac Lion and Windows

Does Premium allow you to install and run binaries (Lua)?

lysharia

Reaction score
Ah, my thanks, Anna. Nearly missed that one.

Descalzo: That's what is seemingly to be implied by Livewire's comment. I have a feeling that it might not work and that I'd end up having to go the VPS or dedicated server route, either way.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it'd allow them to be installed but from my own experience with Lua embedding in c#, it may not actually require installing the binary. I'm doing some digging to see if this is the case; it's one of the odd ones that requires a random test to try, so I'm gunna see what I can work up on my premium account and test it if possible.

lysharia

Reaction score
I don't think it'd allow them to be installed but from my own experience with Lua embedding in c#, it may not actually require installing the binary. I'm doing some digging to see if this is the case; it's one of the odd ones that requires a random test to try, so I'm gunna see what I can work up on my premium account and test it if possible.

Thanks for trying it for us. :3

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks to install just fine, I'm working on trying to get it to actually test with Lua code though. Looks to be what I thought - it's a binary, but like in C# implementations it didn't actually require installing (C#'s uses a dll, dunno if this does too but since it doesn't need to actually install it seems to be working).

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Works, once I found out it specifically wants the stuff in the Module namespace and not Modules (note the s). Didn't try anything fancier than a basic Hello, World! module I found in their documentation examples, but I can't see why more complex Lua wouldn't work since it's definitely parsing it through the Lua engine (further proof is when I typo'd the script, it wouldn't let me save cause of a syntax error :) ).

lysharia

Reaction score
Excellent to hear. In that case, I'll be upgrading to paid hosting, probably tomorrow or Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.