What constitutes overuse of resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

holycros

Reaction score
I read the FAQ, but still am in a bit of puzzlement.

My website is for a parish church. We've been going strong for 14 years on the web and have 14 years of archived bulletins that we used to store on another web site that was giving us a lot of problems with downtime. Recently I have switched to x10Hosting, but have not transferred the 14 years of bulletins (even though they don't amount to more than 280 MB.

Would it conform with the rules if I placed our archived bulletins on our web site? I have been told that they are useful for research and nostalgic purposes.

Thanks for anyone who would like to comment.

Felix Kryzanowski

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Going to put a page "Previous bulletins" with links to each?

holycros

Reaction score
Yes, that would be the plan. Thanks for the reply.

Would this then constitute fair use of the web space?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Although I am not an "official" Admin, I would say that since the bulletins are a part of the site (and not just storage for unrelated information) and are publically available, that it would be an appropriate use.

A note: Accidents do happen. Always download and keep backups of your site locally. Flash drives are cheap.

lysharia

Reaction score
"What constitutes overuse of resources?"

Typically, plugins and extensions that aren't secured or properly written. Outdated plugins and extensions can be an issue, too.

You'd do well to keep up on updates for the software in use, in some way, form or shape. If you're using a forum software, the forum's admin control panel area will usually tell you what version you're running and if there's a new update. Likewise for most other software in their admin control panel.

A good suggestion is to subscribe to mailing-lists for such software if they have one. They often announce pre-release, alpha and beta software in the mailing lists and request people test the software. If you decide to test such software... please set it up in a subdomain or separate server with a separate domain. This way, you know for certain that your site will not be blown up if the installation of such software goes sideways.

Beyond that, from what you've stated... you should be fine, insofar as I can see when looking at the Terms of Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.