3 Free MySQL Databases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan634282

Reaction score
I see now in the features that there is now 2 databases allowed. Wasn't there 3 free databases that were allowed before? I remember seeing 3.

stephens.mike53

Reaction score
For the longest time, there were only 2 allowed on my free account. Today, I noticed I now have 4. :)

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
I see now in the features that there is now 2 databases allowed. Wasn't there 3 free databases that were allowed before? I remember seeing 3.
When I signed up (2009), you were allowed 3. This is when bandwidth/disk space was limited. (package adfree/adfree)
Then they changed to unmetered accounts (package adfree/infinity) and reduced the number of databases to 2. Other resources were similarly decreased. A trade off.
Those rules applied to all new Free Hosting accounts.
Existing Free Hosting accounts were given the chance to change to the new system or keep the old limits.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
For the longest time, there were only 2 allowed on my free account. Today, I noticed I now have 4. :)

cPanel will list 4 as the limit because it thinks that you can have 2 mySQL and 2 Postgres databases. (apparently no way to configure cPanel differently)
x10hosting does not offer Postgres.
So, actually, you only have 2 databases.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
I recommend making use of table prefixes -- this will allow you to install multiple applications in a single database. That feature should be built into the install script of most major web applications providing that you perform a manual install and don't use softaculous. For example, if I have wordpress and phpBB, I would specify wp_ as the table prefix for wordpress and phpbb_ as the prefix for phpbb, so I would then have tables named wp_users for the wordpress user table and phpbb_users for the phpbb users table -- due to the unique prefix I can ensure no two apps will attempt to use the same table name.

Status
Not open for further replies.