NJ Roofing Contractors

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello ladies and gentlemen, to those of you who are not aware I help run a roofing company in New Jersey.

I was wondering if you would all give advice/tips/suggestions on the site we have.
I spent a considerable amount of time today and yesterday getting to where I am on my site: http://njroofingcontractors.net/

If you can freely critique it, it would be great as I am trying to use the site to hopefully generate roofing leads for the roof repair, and shingle or flat roof installation services we offer.

What I want to know in particular:
Is it too much information on the site?
Does it have too little information on the site?
I am using the homepage as a lead generator page and having adwords ppc to send leads to it.
I do rank for the word nj roofing contractors and roofing contractors nj (on page 1, usually)
I want to know if it has too much going on.
I want to know what you think of the design/color/layout of the site.
I would like to know what you think in regards to...

IF you needed a roofing contractor or roof repair work done on your home in NJ, would the site compel you to give my company a call? Or does it scream "STAY AWAY" (I hope it doesn't).

This is a business/it provides as a mean of livelihood to generate leads for my company, so that we can perform the services and carry on throughout life. This business has been my source of income ever since 1985! And I believe it should warrant that I am looking for serious advice/suggestions/ thoughts on this.

Please do tell me what you think, any and all thoughts posted are greatly welcome and much appreciated.
Thank you for your time and help!

From John Klyne

If you have ideas as to how we can get more leads for the roofing services we offer, I would be thrilled to hear it and learn.

Last edited:

fiendking04

Reaction score
I really dig the site. :3 I think that it's laid out well, and looks professional. If I was in NJ and needed a roofing job done, I'd definitely give you a call!

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hehe, okay, thanks for the input.

Appreciated. I had some random saleslady come by and tell me it looked horrible and that I needed a new one : / ?

fiendking04

Reaction score
I've been designing websites for a decade. It's not perfect, but you certainly don't need a new one.

andylpsx

Reaction score
The only thing I would change if any is the Listing of previous jobs on the bottom. The list really adds a lot of empty space at the bottom in the left part of the footer. An easy fix would be to include a different page with all of the listings. Or find a different place to display it. The website looks very good besides that though. Even with the long list on the bottom I wouldn't hesitate to give you a call if I was located in the NJ area. Good job!

Edit:

Though all your images are all the same sizes (this is a good thing and makes the website look much better than if they were not the same size) I would include a small border around them. With the sky as the background in some it makes them look kind of odd at times. A border may really help.

PunxRabble

Reaction score
Definitely don't need a new one. With some minor modification you would have a very clean, professional looking website. A few things hat I would personally change would be the color of the line "Need A Roof Repair? Have a Leak? Call Today 201-650-3321". The orange on the shingled background makes it a bit difficult to read. Along with that, Instead of having the home button sitting randomly in the middle of the images, I would think it would be best to create a nav bar somewhere near the top of the page so it is clearer and you don't have to search for the navigation. Lastly, I would find a place to put "Serving Northern NJ Since 1985" near the top of the page. That is a really good selling point and it goes unnoticed at the bottom of the page. Also what Andylpsx said would be a nice improvement.

That said, I love the contact box you have on the page and the color scheme works nicely.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Oh wow. I wasn't expecting soo many replies, and all helpful too.

I do appreciate the posts/comments/changes guys, it makes me know that my work wasn't a waste.
I will look into changing the menu, and the font color, the list of places served and will change the "Serving Northern NJ Since 1985" part and move it up more.

--
My issue then is: I get around 10 unique visitors a day to the site... I have yet to have the secretary receive a single phone call for a roofing quote...
And on another site with similar concept get avg 11.2 unique visits a day and no phone calls either for roofing work...

It's been about 2 weeks now that I've had them up and not a single lead...

So my next question is: Aside from what you have mentioned above, do you believe there is something I am doing that is not aiding my conversions to even get an e-mail from potential clients?

Thanks on the help once again everyone. I do appreciate it greatly.

From John Klyne

andylpsx

Reaction score
Here is an example of a company similar to yours: http://jccontractornj.com/
Somethings you could improve on is Jquery to add the fancy sliders and or picture effects or more unique menus. BUT a big thing they have over your site is that they come up in a good search for NJ roofing contractors. Your site does show up but not until the second page. Adding more META data keywords would help to draw attention to the website. Your website is also relatively dark which does hurt from having a lighter website color scheme. You also want to make sure not to over crowd the users with too much data to where they no longer wish to read anything. Your website doesn't have a whole lot of content but the content it does have is a lot more compressed then it has to be. If you look at jccontractornj's website you can see how little text there is but how it draws the user in to the website then slowly releases data to them. That is why having more pages would also be beneficial. All in all though your website looks great, it is all about increasing traffic.

intlx10m

Reaction score
Hi! There,
1&2. I believe there is adequate information regarding the company on the website!.
3. If you are thinking of using Adwords as Advertisement tool i would recommend you to make the website more innovative.
4. I am not surprised but i guess its due to search results and frequent visits to your site. I don't see any sort of S.E.O measures taken (A part from Google Analytics which i clearly notice) in order to get more web traffic. I recommend you to fill in Meta tags like Description and keywords. They do play a major role in getting traffic. A part from that one thing i believe that brings in traffic is social presence on Facebook as well as twitter. If you have a lil budget go a head with Facebook advertising. Believe me you are gonna get hell of a traffic on your site!.
5. When it comes to too much....I believe you should reset the footer about which a lot of people commented on!. But one thing i liked over all is the Map Scrolling effect over the top of the page!. It looks simple & elegant.
6. Frankly, I believe there are a lot of things you can work out. I know that you bought in a template for WordPress and configured it. So, there's not much to talk about layout and other things as these things come out tested from the author of the template.
7. If you are a beginner i am flabbergasted by your outcome. A lot of beginners get stuck at installing WordPress. I believe the reason you aren't receiving any mails from potential clients is 'cause there isn't a tremendous web presence nor does your website display sort of portfolio to show your work!. You know that you have been working since 1985 but what people look into is a portfolio. You actually want to make them believe is that you can undertake the clients task given your 28 years of experience.

You have only one page in your website. I say you make it 5 Pages (i.e, Home, About Us, Portfolio, a sort of Blog or list out the counties which you did in footer, Contact Us). Remove the whole counties you listed in footer module and fill it with your Address. As your's is a sort of Corporate website i recommend a corporate look, a simple but innovative one. If you don't really love the theme go a head and do some search ,there are hell of free themes for corporate website. If you need some help i wouldn't mind helping you! with configuring everything.

Are the other websites (i.e, http://texagram.com/ & http://theunited.tk/) designed by you? They sort of look good. Textagram one looks more innovative although its purchased from theme forest i would definitely would try to make one like that!. Thanks for sharing your work!......

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I never really learned how to stay on page 1 for search results. Really wish I knew more, it would aid me entirely.

I will add meta tags to njroofingcontractors.net.
As for the theme, I am not too great at them, and have been told sometimes what I create is perfectly fine, then as per this site, it looks sloppy in my opinion.

It used to be more than what I have, but I changed it for some reason...I will change it back to an older, much cleaner one I had starting Feb 1. And will ask what you all think about it.

As per Texagram.com, yes I did purchase that theme, its a source of income that does wonders for me. Its all salescalls making sales/I haven't received a single order from the site itself : / I guess I just keep it there so in the case of people wondering if we are legitimate they can just go directly to the site to see. It needs work as well, sigh.

As for theunited.tk, that was a bought theme as well...(see my trend, buy themes=good themes, creating them on my own=horrendous haha). I haven't done anything with that site yet, but have a lot planned for it. Anyone heard of micronations? What if there was one, where if you joined, yes you would pay "taxes" or a "membership fee" but those fees were used on income generating investments, and you would receive profit based on the % of funds you put into a project? ....I know its a lot of take in, but I am not letting go of this site/domain.

I also have another, I recently started a private jet charter brokerage company. TopRate Jet Charter LLC, or http://topratejetcharter.com ...(THIS) is hopefully going to bring in a decent 8-12k a month.

In terms of being a beginner at starting site/online businesses, nope. I have been doing this since 8th grade...I'm in my 3rd year of college at the moment...(college, which I am thinking more and more is a waste of my time.)