Email client can not sync with email server on Secure SSL/TLS Settings configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

motechx2

Prime Account
Reaction score
Hi,
I got an error when I try to sync with the email server on Outlook, it says "Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator" my email client used Secure SSL/TLS Settings configuration below

Secure SSL/TLS Settings
(Recommended)
Username: info@xxxxxxx(domain).com
Password: Use the email account’s password.
Incoming Server: xo3.x10hosting.com

• IMAP Port: 993
  • POP3 Port: 995
Outgoing Server: xo3.x10hosting.com
  • SMTP Port: 465
Authentication is required for IMAP, POP3, and SMTP.

but when I tried to use Non-SSL Settings below, the email client is working fine, I can sync all the email with the email server.

Non-SSL Settings
(NOT Recommended)
Username: info@xxxxxxx(domain).com
Password: Use the email account’s password.
Incoming Server: mail.xxxxxxx(domain).com

• IMAP Port: 143
  • POP3 Port: 110
Outgoing Server: mail.xxxxxxx(domain).com
  • SMTP Port: 25
Authentication is required for IMAP, POP3, and SMTP.

so is there something wrong with Secure SSL/TLS Settings on the server??

Thanks

jenkinsgh73

Reaction score
Receiving email has been broken for at least 2 weeks now.
I haven't seen that anyone is interested in fixing it.

shifattk

Reaction score
I tried setting up both Secure and Non-Secure on Thunderbird and Android email, and neither worked. However, I installed Roundcube through Softaculous (which asks for the same info) and that works.

I'm getting this error on Android: (with SSL/TLS)
ef557196e163164b1db27a9c24b6753e.png

That is when I hit "Next" after filling in the IMAP info.

Also, even if I try the Non-SSL settings (on Android), I still can't get past the point where I enter the SMTP information. It just tells me "Couldn't open connection to server."

motechx2

Prime Account
Reaction score
Well, I have found out that SSL settings is working for sending email, but no working for receiving email.
and None SSL settings is other way around, not working for sending email, but working for receiving email.

if you want your email client to work, you have to set you incoming server(IMAP) to non SSL settings, and outgoing server(SMTP) to SSL settings.

I hope X10 will fix this problem up soon.

motechx2

Prime Account
Reaction score
By the way, I'm on XO3, I don't know if the other servers have the same problem.

SylvanOgre

Reaction score
havent verified the secure send/ insecure receive, but yes, on xo1 havent been able to receive email for weeks, with the error message: "An error occurred during a connection to xo1.x10hosting.com:995.
Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).
(Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)"

Has anybody submitted an actual support ticket for this?

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just set up a test account under your cPanel account, and was able to set it up in Outlook 2013 with no issues.

jenkinsgh73

Reaction score
motechx2 is correct. Non-SSL works for receiving mail. I've just received messages dating back to 14th October which, incidentally, I couldn't see with the web client.
Like SylvanOgre, I've been using SSL for receive with my mailboxes for about 5 years and it was broken by the recent updates.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
We disabled SSLv3 because of the POODLE security issue, however this should not cause any problems, really. If it is, try updating your mail client.

SylvanOgre

Reaction score
Thunderbird 24.7.0 under Linux Fedora 19/Mate
Yes, linux is usually a version or two behind. Will try with latest and greatest when Windows 7 box is up and running.

leafypiggy: in MY cpanel?

SylvanOgre

Reaction score
OK, got Thunderbird updated to the latest version (31.2.0, which was supposed to address the security flaw from October 17)
If I use x01.x10hosting.com:995 with SSL/TLS (which according tot he protocols is supposed to try TLS before it falls back to SSL), the account is "skipped over" when retrieving email
If I use mail.x10hosting.com:995 with SSL/TLS I am prompted for my password (good, thats the way I have it setup), but it keeps giving me bad password error. Yes, I have reset my password in my cpanel.

Any ideas?

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
The server name is xo1.x10hosting.com -- not x - zero - one.

SylvanOgre

Reaction score
<embarrassed> mis-typed in post, but thought I typed it right in email. will check again </embarrassed>
would think that if I used x01 instead of xo1 I would get some kind of server not found error message. I get no error message or request for password, or anything (unless I look in the console log, and then I get... well, now I am not getting any error message at all from the console!)
This is what I get after I tell Thunderbird to "give up" after my password has been rejected:
Timestamp: 11/09/2014 06:01:47 PM
Error: An error occurred during a connection to xo1.x10hosting.com:995.

Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

(Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)
(note that I have the xo1 part correct <grin>)
I have reset my password in cPanel, and even changed the password to something else for one of the accounts for testing.
What do we need to do?
(apparently other people are still having the same problem, too)

motechx2

Prime Account
Reaction score
I've just set up a test account under your cPanel account, and was able to set it up in Outlook 2013 with no issues.
We disabled SSLv3 because of the POODLE security issue, however this should not cause any problems, really. If it is, try updating your mail client.

I was using Outlook 2007, as you have suggested to update the email client, so I have just tried on Outlook 2013, but I still getting the same problem.
email problem.png
email problem2.png

Also, the mail client on iOS 8, is not working as well, it was working fine dated back on 10/14/2014

Could you let me know what's your testing settings are, please?

Thanks

motechx2

Prime Account
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure what's wrong now, I can't get it to work on outlook 2013 and thunderbird on Windows 7, still gave me the same error, also have tried on a few iPhones and iPads, none of them worked.
But when setup a Windows 8 virtual machine, and had outlook 2013 installed on it, and it seem to be working fine on the virtual machine.

I ran out of idea to try to find a solution to the problem.....

SylvanOgre

Reaction score
The movie was a bit hard to follow because the movie moved so fast (Im old, Im slow<grin>). But with judicious use of the "pause" button I was able to verify that my settings seem to be correct. I can SEND mail (and my password is recognized just fine), but I cannot RECEIVE mail (using "correct" server [xo1.x10hosting.com], it doesnt try or even prompt for a password; using "wrong" server [mail.x10hosting.com], it rejects my password with the error code "ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap"
Why am I using mail? Because when I was on absolut that was the mail server. When I was moved to xo1, I didnt know I needed to change the mail server (since it didnt break, I didnt have to fix it!) The move from absolut was ?a couple of months ago? This problem developed only 2 weeks ago.

So! What is the next step?

motechx2

Prime Account
Reaction score
I have done a few more tests.
as Outlook 2013 is working on Windows 8 virtual machine that I mentioned above, I have tried copy the registry and PST files from the virtual machine to my Windows 7 after fresh install of Outlook 2013, but still not working, even tried to delete the email account and create a new one in cPanel, but no luck.

Then, I registered a new account and created a testing email account, it is on xo5, the new testing email is working fine in my windows 7 computer, and it also working on iphone and ipad.

I would said, it is the server problem on xo3, there might some misconfiguration after the email server breakdown a few weeks ago.
just wondering, if this problem is continue as it is, would it be possible to move my account to a different server?

thanks.

SylvanOgre

Reaction score
Hey motechx2:
I have having the same problem on xo1, so I doubt moving to another server would help. There are three different threads on this same issue, however x10hosting thinks its fixed as of 3 weeks ago on http://status.x10hosting.com/ (3 weeks ago is about the time I started having this problem. How about you?)

Status
Not open for further replies.