Interesting way of hosting for FREE

jensen

Reaction score
*Nuked - Even if it's a terrible host, we don't advertise rivals :) *

Was surprised to come across this hosting where they claim to FREE hosting meeting unlimited hosting. So I was curious and tried. They charge for monthly hosting and longer hosting but if you choose 3 year hosting you get everything unlimited and all FREE.

Sounds good, when clicking on ORDER NOW, it says you need a domain. Whether you transfer domain or buy new domain, you have to pay :) So how is it FREE?

Nothing like x10hosting.com - you know what you're getting and really FREE. If one needs more features, there's always PREMIUM hosting.

*Mod edit: removed link

Last edited by a moderator:

jensen

Reaction score
My Apologies for inadvertently advertising for rivals.

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is very common! The majority of free hosts in the industry do require some sort of financial commitment upfront - domains, privacy protection, etc - they aren't really free! x10Hosting never has and never will.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Apologies for inadvertently advertising for rivals.

No worries, only removed it for consistency purposes (I'd love to leave it just because it isn't a good host, but if we're not applying the rule consistently then there's no point :) ).

Personally I think it's a great gimmick, until you realize that if you're buying a domain, say at $9.99, how the heck do they figure they can host you on the service for 3 years? That is 1,095 days, or about 9/10ths of a penny per day in profit, per account. The power to the server probably costs more than that, and that's assuming you are using absolutely nothing in terms of hard drive space or bandwidth, allowing you to cram a few tens of thousands of accounts onto it. This also assumes there's never a support ticket (so you aren't having to pay for dedicated staff to watch for tickets 24/7), no account ever sends spam, no account over-uses hard drive space, no account over-uses CPU (Wordpress with 25+ plugins, for instance), etc. As soon as ANYTHING happens, it's suddenly very hard to make a profit and keep it.

My $0.02 is on them bolting before the 3 years is up. If they just take the money and run, then it suddenly makes much more sense, especially if they wait long enough for most card issuers to no longer allow charge-backs.

mduffyx1

Reaction score
It's sort of like the gyms that sells lifetime memberships. They go belly-up, a new company buys up the lease, the equipment, and re-hires the staff. Same thing happens a few times and you notice that the owner / boss seem familiar.