The storage is 512MB, not unlimited

Status
Not open for further replies.

windyboy

Reaction score
I have register an account on x10Hosting, thought it had unlimited storage. But in fact I don't get unlimited storage, I only get 512MB instead. What the h. is this? And when I upload a file on my site, the file size limit is getting decreased, from (about) 250MB to 187.5MB!!!?!? Why? And, I can't even upload my file on FTP too!!!?
So now what is your solution for this??

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-02-16-39-42.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-02-16-39-42.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 28

caftpx10

Reaction score
It becomes "unlimited" once you reach the requirements (like following the ToS, at least half the space used up, majority of the space not CMS/Blog/whatever backups, more than 1 week old) and then posting a thread requesting so.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
And on the "absolutely free" (gratis) tier, the max file size that can stay on the account is 10MB; files larger than 10MB have a 4-hour lifespan (enough to manage zip archives or database dumps) on the server. There is currently a 512MB cap on total media files (audio, video, images) in any case. File storage is prohibited, and file distribution is closely regulated (basically, only what you authored AND that is directly connected to your site). It might be a good idea to actually read the Terms of Service that you claimed to have read when you signed up.

caftpx10

Reaction score
From the looks of it, yes. You have to log in using X10's login.
It's a bit like a person named 'Bob' checking your ID and then checking you off for that month if you were to use the normal way. If you were to login directly using cPanel's logon then Bob wouldn't be there so someone else called 'Bobby' would be the only one letting you in without doing anything else.
You can think of the main login (not cPanel) as a gateway.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
On the other hand, you only need to waste those five precious seconds once every 30 days. It's more of a drag if you're a habitual FTP user than if you're a cPanel user since it means remembering to fire up a different client once a month.

mduffyx1

Reaction score
Damn!! Why do I need to use a different FTP client every month? Seriously, to be clear, do I need to log in (i.e like to post here, etc.), or does an update of my web-site (via FTP) 'count' as my monthly access?

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The "different"" was in response to my posting above. To clarify: the "different client" is a web browser, not a different FTP client. If you're a habitual FTP user, you need to remember to access the SSO portal once a month through your web browser, since your FTP activity doesn't count as activity for the purposes of the ToS. And like I said, it's maybe five seconds of work once a month if things are going slow (especially if your browser is remembering your login info).

mduffyx1

Reaction score
Thanks both for the clarification. I prefer using FileZilla FTP client for updates, so I'll need to remember to log in every month to the control panel. Do they send a warning with a few days grace to the email account first, or just delete the account automatically?

BTW, I'm still waiting for the "catch". With no ads, how can they afford to give anyone a free 500M web site? The TOS does not seem to be any more restrictive than the 5 Mb web site my prior ISP gave me along with my cable Internet service. (In fact, it's less because they said the web site had to be "In good taste", but that might have been a poor English translation from the official French wording.) And they didn't allow SSI nor CGI.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
You should be receiving email notifications, first when you are close to being suspended for not logging in, and later when you are actually suspended. There would be no warnings before your account is deleted after it has gone into the suspended state though.

Once suspended it sits for three weeks before being up for termination, during that period you can login to the panel and unsuspend the account yourself, assuming it is only suspended for inactivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.