adding www prefix

Status
Not open for further replies.

acewx10h

Reaction score
When I first opened my free hosting account with x10hosting I was a complete novice (still am really) so was clueless about what I was doing.
I think that I was asked whether I wanted a www prefix.
Can a free hosting account be changed to include the www. prefix?

caftpx10

Reaction score
It works by default. When registering, there isn't any option to add or remove "support." Even if you add 'www.' to the sub-domain while registering, there's a large chance that it the default prefix would end up making the URL work with an extra www. like 'www.www.example.x10.com' as it adds on to the beginning automatically).

Last edited:

acewx10h

Reaction score
I have never found it working by default that way so is it just for me that it doesn't work.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It will work unless your .htaccess or website script prevents it from working ("same-origin" rules sometimes apply, and the browser doesn't see both versions as coming from the same server). It doesn't redirect, though.

acewx10h

Reaction score
Even with no .htaccess www hasn't worked on my account acew.x10host.com with any browser from the outtset. I had to put in a redirect, where the redirect worked until the changes to .htacess rules on the 30th September, so now Im even more confused if it works that way for everyone else.

caftpx10

Reaction score
You get a blank page?
If you're able to access the control panel then you'll need to check out the advanced DNS zone editor section and see if there's a www.acew.x10.mx entry that's under CNAME pointing towards the non-www one.

Last edited:

caftpx10

Reaction score
So you got www. to work with CloudFlare? That must mean that the issue is solved. What I offered was (as I said) to skip CloudFlare, so I would say that what you used instead is better. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.