Missing audio files

Status
Not open for further replies.

chikara1

Reaction score
Hi there,

My name is Alex and I've been running a podcast at my site http://chikarain15.com for about a month now. The last two episodes I uploaded have apparently disappeared, and I wanted to find out if there was some file size limit I wasn't aware of? From what I've read on the matter:

On our free hosting service, disk space is initially limited at either 512MB or 1024MB. Users may request for unmetered disk space once they have used over 50% of their current disk space limit, and have had an account for over 7 days.

I haven't found anything about a size limit per file, though. Also, if someone can point me in the direction of where to request unmetered disk space, that would be great. Thanks so much, I do enjoy the service you guys provide!

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

On our free hosting service, there is a 10MB limit on individual files to prevent abuse, which is probably why your audio files went missing. We can upgrade your disk space to unmetered once you have used 50% of your current disk space limit, but this upgrade would not change the limit on individual files, unfortunately.

Thank you,

chikara1

Reaction score
Hi,

On our free hosting service, there is a 10MB limit on individual files to prevent abuse, which is probably why your audio files went missing. We can upgrade your disk space to unmetered once you have used 50% of your current disk space limit, but this upgrade would not change the limit on individual files, unfortunately.

Thank you,

Thanks, Dead-i! I had a feeling as much; my other files are below that limit, so that explains why only certain ones are on there. Would the limit change if I upgraded to any of the premium services? Depending on what I can afford, I will try to look into one of those or else have to host the audio elsewhere.

Thanks again for the response!

ajstetson17

Reaction score
The limit does not apply to upgraded accounts (see post below). You can find a comparison of all the different upgraded plans here: https://x10hosting.com/support/account/plans-upgrades-explained

Going forward we're going to automatically remove files over 10MB in size, to be fair this will only happen for files that are 4 hours old. This will allow you to upload an archive and have time to unpack it but you won't be able to forget about that archive now sitting on your account taking up space. We've done a lot of test runs and just the amount of space taken up in Wordpress.zip files is hundreds of gigs. From our testing very few people are actually going to be impacted by this change, the majority of files to be removed aren't actually files we allow to be hosted (backups, movies, tv shows). Before anyone freaks out, we have full daily backups of all the servers... if a file you need gets removed we'll get it back for you. Because our cloud is 100% SSD storage and all your data is not only replicated in the cloud it's backed up we needed to come up with a fair solution to stop wasting so much space on non-website related data. This change will not be applied to prime\illuminated\premium accounts.

chikara1

Reaction score
Thanks, AJ! I will host the audio elsewhere for now, but will consider upgrading my account when finances are available. Thanks again for the response; that explanation is very helpful for understanding the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.