Suggestion: SSL

tstingx6

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that X10 Hosting is the best free hosting there is. A awesome feature to add would be the option option to add a SSL certificate to your site.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
you cannot use SSL on x10hosting's free-hosting servers - a dedicated IP address is required for each site that uses SSL

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
you cannot use SSL on x10hosting's free-hosting servers - a dedicated IP address is required for each site that uses SSL

Not actually true, most modern browsers support Server Name Indication (SNI) which lets you have multiple SSL certs attached to a single IP. That being said, there are other aspects of our setup that make it difficult to offer SSL to our Free Hosting customers at this time, although that is being worked on (I cannot give any ETAs, though) :)

In the meantime, you can make use of Cloudflare to act as a proxy front-end to your site, and enable SSL through them (so your users would connect to the Cloudflare servers via SSL, and in the backend Cloudflare would pass on that request to us using normal HTTP).

tstingx6

Reaction score
I actually am using Cloudflare's SSL option. It was just a suggestion. I realize it would be difficult to add but it would be an awesome feature. Thanks for your help.

longbich

Reaction score
There's just sooo much to learn. I cannot keep up. I passed over Twitter. I loved learning html.

bmccoy11

Reaction score
+1. There are now ways to implement SSL on shared hosting that are compatible with most newer web browsers. I hope this is on x10Hosting's to-do list.

bmccoy11

Reaction score
Isn't Railgun to do with dynamic page caching and transferal rather than request encryption?
No, Railgun is essentially an encrypted & compressed connection between Cloudflare and x10Hosting.

I would still like basic SSL support, though...

longbich

Reaction score
I like how Sharky's signature gifs onto his/her posts.
Is there a gif or site for this?

ajstetson17

Reaction score
Not actually true, most modern browsers support Server Name Indication (SNI) which lets you have multiple SSL certs attached to a single IP. That being said, there are other aspects of our setup that make it difficult to offer SSL to our Free Hosting customers at this time, although that is being worked on (I cannot give any ETAs, though) :)

Are there any updates on when this feature might be implemented?

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It's still in beta. For encryption, CloudFlare is still an option as I said in post #7. I don't know enough about it to say for sure but won't SSL also prevent Varnish server caching?

bmccoy11

Reaction score
It's still in beta. For encryption, CloudFlare is still an option as I said in post #7. I don't know enough about it to say for sure but won't SSL also prevent Varnish server caching?
Yeah, Varnish Cache doesn't actually natively support SSL. Never thought of that. It looks like there's only an implementation of SSL in Varnish Cache Plus.

longbich

Reaction score
I was suspended today 28th January for not coming into the fold. I looked back up here in this very thread and I can see I posted something on the 21st January. That's only a week ago not a whole month. Oh well thanks for the notice to suspend and the ease of unsuspension.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I was suspended today 28th January for not coming into the fold. I looked back up here in this very thread and I can see I posted something on the 21st January. That's only a week ago not a whole month. Oh well thanks for the notice to suspend and the ease of unsuspension.
There is no requirement to post at all, and the forums mean nothing as far as activity goes (and haven't for a couple of years now). The only thing that counts as "activity" is logging into the SSO portal (https://x10hosting.com/sso/login/), and you are required to do that at least once every 30 days.

lucas.smuller61

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that X10 Hosting is the best free hosting there is. A awesome feature to add would be the option option to add a SSL certificate to your site.

CloudFlare have free SSH Flexible. It's a good option and functionally. :)

longbich

Reaction score
There is no requirement to post at all, and the forums mean nothing as far as activity goes (and haven't for a couple of years now). The only thing that counts as "activity" is logging into the SSO portal (https://x10hosting.com/sso/login/), and you are required to do that at least once every 30 days.
I get the 30 day log in requirement essellar. I have to log in before I post. I like to have a look around at what others have posted on the different threads AND then I post something somewhere to remind myself that I have logged in. If I don't need to post that;s fine but I cannot remember if I don't post something.
Maybe I failed to log in through the Portal when I posted on 21st January. That seems to be the flaw in my 30 day reminder plan.