Any plans to update to PHP 7?

richiezh

Reaction score
Posted this in another section, but felt it would have been better to post here too...

So PHP 7 is coming out probably (hopefully) later this year, and I was wondering if x10hosting has any plans to update to it...

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As a general principle, nobody updates to a dot-zero release. They let those who can afford to run a small number of servers (in redundant systems) find the bugs first.

michiga4

Reaction score
I agree with essellar on that one.

It's going to be a long time before seeing php7 as a php version to switch to.

I think that on all production systems that I am running now, php 5.5 is the version in use.

Auklet

Reaction score
As a general principle, nobody updates to a dot-zero release. They let those who can afford to run a small number of servers (in redundant systems) find the bugs first.
We currently do have the choice to select the available PHP release to use. Those who feel adventurous can go ahead and play with PHP 7. It is not as if we're all forced to use PHP 7.

Regardless of whether or not the PHP release is a dot-zero version, this does not change the possibility of running into a bug. I believe it's about time PHP 5.6 becomes available here. Last time I checked, C-Panel updated to support PHP 5.6.

caftpx10

Reaction score
PHP7 is NOT ready to be used on production servers. Having PHP7 installed and being used before the final stable release can introduce very nasty issues such as potential memory leaks and critical security issues which could affect the whole server.
It is only to be used for servers not used in production (private, local).

l4w2game

Reaction score
I'm just wondering, when PHP 7 is usable enough to be upgraded to, when will 5.5 version be phased out?

The reason is that I run ABXD and they stopped development of it in late 2014, meaning if 5.5 is removed, I have to destroy the site and replace it, and it's been remade eight times so far.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
@l4w2game : Welcome to the wonderful world of "I don't control my own server". There's likely to be a reasonable period of overlap, since PHP 7 breaks a lot of PHP 5.x code (the deprecations have become removals, new things are deprecated, and some stuff that should have been tossed out years ago but was simply overlooked is being removed without deprecating first) and PHP 5.5 can't run new PHP 7 code. But since PHP 7 can do a little more than twice as much (on average) with the same resources and is safer, I wouldn't expect support for 5.5 to stick around forever.

That, unfortunately, means that using bespoke code or anything that isn't being actively maintained (and with enough momentum to make it unlikely that development will cease in the mid-term) is kind of risky on shared hosting. When something popular dies, there's usually a host of migration utilities to move to something else (or a fork of the project so you can update rather than migrate if it's open source and has a passionate community), but with a smaller projects or bespoke code, you don't get a lot of choices. You can run the existing code on a server you control (VPS, dedicated, or co-located); you can take control of updating the software (if the original license permits it) for your own use (or fork it if you can stand the headaches of project maintenance); or you can take control of data migration.

As much as I hate the market-leading PHP packages — and I really, truly do hate them — I have to say that they're at least a safe choice to make. When the ecosystem changes, the software changes with it. And if something as big as WordPress, phpBB or Joomla ever dies, you can pretty much be sure that every single competitor will have a one-click migration available before the corpse has cooled.

l4w2game

Reaction score
I was wondering mainly because there will be much things which depend on PHP 5.5 so it wouldn't really make sense to remove support after PHP 7 has been added.

Perhaps I could learn some PHP and figure out how to update the code of the board so that it would still be usable, when 5.x is phased out.

The last statement is pretty true, though. Although, I could try to learn PHP 7 when it's established and rewrite some of the board software to keep it running OK if there's no updates for it.

kamustra

Reaction score
Any update on this? I believe PHP7 is production ready by now, as well are the major packages.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's a month old and still dot-zero. It's not going to happen until it's been shaken out in production elsewhere (at least). And there will be plenty of warning because (as I noted above) "new and shiny" will mean "everything's broken" for an awful lot of users. If you really, really want to run PHP 7 right now, then you really, really want a VPS.

nandifamily

Reaction score
Why don't we have 5.6 yet? Its neither there on the free nor on premium hosting.